Dash Gauge Bezel Re Do

-

SSing

Reaction score
Hi,
Yes I know there are several good threads I can look for and get info from, but I was thinking of taking a short cut, and ask for step #1... what to use or how to clean up/remove old paint, from this old Gauge Bezel.
It´s for my ´68 FB. I want the upper part to be all black also , so what black paint to use?
Also if you know of a good tread, just out of your head, where I can get some good step by step advise on how to do this.
Thank You for taking the time.
Stefan
20160925_115110[1]InstrumentBredaMin.jpg

Thanks, great info.
But now I got cold feet. Was all bezels chrome coated on the upper part against the dash pad?
I have another dash for parts, someone tried to restore, and it´s all black... maybe this wasn´t correct done? (´68 FB )
20160925_134009[1]BezelBlack.jpg

67-9 were different. My 67 S with deluxe interior has burlwood in upper half. My 69 S std interior had black upper half. I have a 68 bezel that has black upper half. 68-9 could have come with wood, but a different pattern than 67.
You can get both styles of wood decals too

Actually the entire bezel was chrome. Detail paint went over the chrome. The brim portion was unpainted / chrome all model

67-9 were different. My 67 S with deluxe interior has burlwood in upper half. My 69 S std interior had black upper half. I have a 68 bezel that has black upper half. 68-9 could have come with wood, but a different pattern than 67.
You can get both styles of wood decals too

Yes upper half black. But this part was chrome right?
Thanks.
20160925_134009[1]BezelBlack.jpg

Actually the entire bezel was chrome. Detail paint went over the chrome. The brim portion was unpainted / chrome all model

:) Had to look that word up... brim, is the upper part against the pad in this case, right?

yeah, like the brim of a baseball cap. Age and heat warps this brim line so it rarely mates to the dash pad nice and straight.
In my opinion, unless you want something custom, your best option is a reproduction bezel.

Last edited:
yeah, like the brim of a baseball cap. Age and heat warps this brim line so it rarely mates to the dash pad nice and straight.
In my opinion, unless you want something custom, your best option is a reproduction bezel.

Yes, I think you are right...
Thanks all

-
Back