dash lenses

-

yellowdart72

Reaction score
Does anyone know what would clean up dash cluster lenses?

I have a lens that will need something aggressive because I live in the prairie desert and we constantly have wind/dust storms and this lens was in the car in the salvage yard with no doors for many years. I don't think its wasted if there is something out there to buff it with.

I was told to use the same kits that are used to polish new headlights. I tried it and it can work, but you have to be really careful. It's real easy to burn the lenses from too much heat/friction. Overall mine looked better afterwards except for a small spot that I got too hot.

Boat windshield polish AKA plastic polish materials

Id run a low rpm small buffer and polish designed for polycarbonate. high rpm will scorch the surface. if you can set up a 1500 rpm motor with a 3 - 5 " nice fat buffer wheel and start with coarse and work to fine polish, you will probably do great. I have buffed polycarbonate transparent parabolic housings for optical gear with a wool buffer wheel on a low speed car buffer with great results. I'd get an extra gauge lens for testing of compounds and process.

Headlight cleaning kit & buff it by hand with a soft microfiber towel.

The old school way is to use toothpaste & a sock. Yes that's right! Cleans it & leaves it smelling minty fresh when your done! No cavities either!

I like the headlight cleaner & hand polishing myself.

Good used lenses might be a better plan.
They aren't so rare or expensive.

-
Back