Dash Light issue

-

Mineallmine

Reaction score
I am at the final stages of a 63 Dart restoration and ran into a small issue. I had everything working as it should but a new gremlin showed up today.

First when I was going through everything I tried to make sure I cleaned all the contacts with a brass wire brush and installed all new connectors as the originals were brittle form years in the arizona heat. When first installed I had good park and signals and headlights, but no dash lights. Replaced all the bulbs and checked the contacts on the dash and all appeared good. I found 2 issues here. First, the contact for the fuse was corroded so I cleaned it, then second I found under the screw that grounds the circuit board on the dash assembly was oxidized, so I sanded it and reinstalled and voila, dash lights. (also replaced headlight switch and dimmer during troubleshooting with standard products switches)

Today I was installing the front seat and noticed when I was going through everything again, once again, no dash lights. I checked the fuse and sone dirt got in behind the fuse when I reinstalled it causing it to make poor contact again so it was intermittent. I cleaned it again (hopefully for good this time) and my dash lights started working again. Here's where I found my issue. When I turn on the park lights, my signal lights on the dash illuminate dim. My signals seem to work but the flashing on the dash doesn't match. If I turn down the brightness to off the problem goes away. Also when I turn on the headlights and hit the high beams, my high beams turn on, but the high beam light is dull and same issue with signal indication.

I am thinking I have a bad ground somewhere but am hoping someone else had a similar issue so I know where to start looking. Turn signal switch is a new quality one as well. Should I be disconnecting a light at a time to see if the issue goes away? Would that be the best way to start? I also have jumper wires I guess I could go from each item to the ground on the battery to see if it helps.

Sounds like the cluster is not grounding. Find a good ground point on the cluster and run a separate pigtail to the dash frame, or the column mount support (that goes to the firewall)

Sounds like the cluster is not grounding. Find a good ground point on the cluster and run a separate pigtail to the dash frame, or the column mount support (that goes to the firewall)
Thanks, I will try that tomorrow.

Update:

Went to dig into the electrical issue today. Tried extra grounds on the dash and radio (new install) with no change. Then I decided to start disconnecting things to see when the issue went away. Started at the most likely culprit as it is directly connected to the issue I am having, the park lights.

Disconnected them and my problem went away. I was assuming poor ground, but as soon as I reconnected them, everything was good again. Upon further investigation I discovered that somehow when I was replacing the connectors, I missed cleaning one of the connectors...ONE!! anyway, I cleaned it up and plugged and unplugged them a few times to ensure good clean contact and no issues after. Hopefully that's the end of it, but we will see. Still have all the shakedown runs to do to get any/all the bugs worked out.

Update:

Went to dig into the electrical issue today. Tried extra grounds on the dash and radio (new install) with no change. Then I decided to start disconnecting things to see when the issue went away. Started at the most likely culprit as it is directly connected to the issue I am having, the park lights.

Disconnected them and my problem went away. I was assuming poor ground, but as soon as I reconnected them, everything was good again. Upon further investigation I discovered that somehow when I was replacing the connectors, I missed cleaning one of the connectors...ONE!! anyway, I cleaned it up and plugged and unplugged them a few times to ensure good clean contact and no issues after. Hopefully that's the end of it, but we will see. Still have all the shakedown runs to do to get any/all the bugs worked out.
With resistance in the connection, electricity may have been finding another route to ground through those lamps. In other words the filemnts had about the same resistance as the poor connection. We'ld have to look at how the '63 circuits are connected but that sounds like what happened.

-
Back