Dash light relay??

-

66Vali

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where the dash light relay is on a 66 Valiant???
I havne't dug to hard looking for it as of yet, but had sometime to post on here...Pics are coming soon!!!

I have the rear seat out and the whole in the floor is a little bigger then expected, just have to find a floor pan for it, preferably in ontario.

Cheers and thanks in advance!!!

I might be mistaken, but I don't think there is any such thing as a dash light relay. Relays are used to switch high current circuits by using the low current draw of the relays coil. Generally dash lights do not draw enough current to need a relay. The vehicle's horn usually does.

Good luck to ya!

BC

64 is right. The dash lights for about a thousand years in Mopars work like this:

Power for park/ tail/ and dash lights comes from the tail light fuse. This feeds the dash lamp dimmer control, the output of which is traditional TAN which goes down to a separate special little fuse in the fuse panel. The dimmer controlled voltage goes through that fuse, comes out on ORANGE, and is distributed to all the dimmer controlled lamps, radio, heater, cluster, etc.

You can download a complete 66 shop manual for free here:

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1966_Plymouth_Service_Manual.zip

Simplified diagrams which are not particularly always correct or complete, but which CAN be handy here:

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1966/66ValiantA.jpg

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1966/66ValiantB.jpg

Look at diagram "A" find the light switch and the TAN wire coming off. This is the output of the dimmer control

Follow the tan off the page at bottom right and to diagram "B"

Pick up the tan going to the fuse at the far lower left on diagram "B"

Notice that at the other end of this fuse are several ORANGE wires, and in fact one of 'em goes right to the radio. This is the dimmer controlled indicator lamp in the radio.

Oh ok, I'm new to the whole car scene....When I bought the car the guy told me the dash lights don't work, but he gave me what he called a relay...It's brand new, it's black and gold and has conectors on it and a wheel type thing on the inner part of it....I'm only going by what he told me....All exterior lights work and the dome light works....Just none of the dash lights????

Ha!! sure does. When you go to change it, PLEAUZZZZ don't ruin the shaft. Here's how you remove the light switch knob/ shaft:

Remove battery ground, pull the switch clear out to "headlights" and reach up under the dash and feel for the little release button in the diagram below:

Push the release, wiggle the shaft a little, and the knob and shaft should come clear out. Then remove the trim/ nut, and off you go.

WiringLiteSwBack2.jpg

All good . I'll add this.. Dont push the little button to reinstall the stem. That can wreck the catch. The tapered end on the stem guides it into the catch. Happy moparing

When you change it, I suggest you coat the contacts with silicone di-electric grease, especially since you are in Canada. You might also spray contact cleaner in the connector terminals. Don't throw your old light switch out since it probably just needs contact cleaner sprayed on the reostat wire to fix the brightness adjustment.

One thing I don't understand is why the dome light works (full-on click position), but not the dash lights. Maybe the dash lights are always on the reostat, so a different path. Anyway, you must pull the headlight switch to trouble-shoot, so swap parts and see.

When you change it, I suggest you coat the contacts with silicone di-electric grease, especially since you are in Canada. You might also spray contact cleaner in the connector terminals. Don't throw your old light switch out since it probably just needs contact cleaner sprayed on the reostat wire to fix the brightness adjustment.

One thing I don't understand is why the dome light works (full-on click position), but not the dash lights. Maybe the dash lights are always on the reostat, so a different path. Anyway, you must pull the headlight switch to trouble-shoot, so swap parts and see.

The dome lamp is operated by a seperate tiny toggle switch. Rotating the knob operates the dimmer reaostat and moves the toggle switch.
Look for it at lower right corner or 5 o'clock position.

I appreciate everyones response!!!! My plan is to pull and replace tomorrow...I'll let you know how it goes!!!

That panel has only 2 little bulbs that serve for illumination. The others are indicator bulbs. I mention this because if the car is sittng out in the bright of day you may not be able to see them come on. Brighter bulbs, bypassing the dimmer reostat, we've been there done that.
Good luck

well it turns out this was not the issue with the lights....I guess maybe I need to check the bulbs and the fuse....That's my next option.....other then that what else could be the issues??? Wiring???

Did you check at the inst. fuse? Is there power on both sides of it with the dimmer control "turned up?"

Sorry I'm new and just learning so could you elaborate on the inst. fuse? Is there power on both sides of it with the dimmer control "turned up?"

OK, in the fuse box there is one fuse separate from the rest (electrically) for the instrument lamps

The lamp dimmer on the headlight switch RECEIVES power from the tail lamp fuse, so the tail fuse has to be good FIRST

When the headlight switch is in either "park" or "head" the dash lamps can get power IF the dimmer is turned to "some brightness" maximum being twisted towards the left

That is the only time the instrument fuse is powered, as that fuse RECEIVES power FROM the output of the dimmer (tan) and then sends it out to all the dimmer controlled lamps on the orange wiring.

So that is about the first place to check, as it's a central point, and easy to get to.

Thank you, I will give this a try either this week or the upcoming weekend!!! I have a busy work week ahead!!

Cheers

I'll keep you updated...My goal is also to get pics of her so you guys can all see what I have thus far

Boom...I got it fixed!!! Hoping to still have pics up soon!!!

-
Back