Dash lights not working

-

74dart

Reaction score
It seems like I have seen this alot on here, and I have did alot of searching the forums for topics on the matter, I have the same problem as alot of people and that is that my dash lights dont work, but my question was(because I am new to diagnosing electrical problems) how I can find out what/where the problem is with a multimeter or test light(if that is what I am supposed to use). I have been doing mechanics for a couple years now but I have never jumped into the electrical aspects of it, and this would greatly help me if you could give me help on how to troubleshoot it. I know the basics of a multimeter too, so Im all good with that, just all the different wires seem to overwhelm me.

First lets find out what does work ? Other illumination is on the same circuit, fuse, dimmer. Shift indicator, ash tray, radio, climate controls.
If any one of those works properly, the not working ones would most likely be bad bulbs.
If none of them work, find the one fuse that doesn't have power on either side until the headlight switch is pulled to the park lamp position. With that switch on the fuse should now have power on both sides. If it only has power on one side , replace the fuse.
Report your findings and we'll go further if needed.

My high beam indicator light works, I have an aftermarket radio, my shifter lights dont work. All the bulbs are good and the fuses are new and good

then the problem may be in the dimmer portion of the headlight switch. You could wiggle and turn on that knob and hope to see the lights come on in a good spot but keep in mind, Other owners have struggled with what they thought was no lights when the lights were on just so dim that they aren't visible in daylight.

-
Back