Dash Paint, any good shelf stuff

-

Dustedu2

Reaction score
I am painting the dash on my 65 coronet Black. It seems there was a little texture to it but not sure. I'm sure they used the same stuff on A-body's. Is there something off the shelf that would work well? It's not concourse show but want it to look good.

Im eventually going to do the dash on my 69 cuda and from what I have been told, Mar-Hyde is good spray bomb for it. Get the "satin"

Factory original was called suede finish.The only perfect refinish I've seen was powder coat.
SEM for vinyl and plastic Landau Black worked for me. Once I had good coverage a dry sprayed finish coat left it close enough. The dry spray wasn't required on the plastic pieces that have the texture in the cast, like defrost vents, column cover.
Tip, spray the steering column too so it matches.

Go to the John Deere store and get a spray can called Blitz Black. It was a perfect match for my 70 duster. The paint is very good and sprays nice out of the can. Some people paint their entire car with this stuff for the satin look (it is available in quarts and gallons too). It was used on dashes in JD tractors. They also have a medium gloss and a gloss black too.

I used "Satin Black" from Totally Auto on my '73 Duster dash frame. The paint went on very well and dried quickly.

011203-Dash_Frame_Paint-4.JPG

011203-Dash_Frame_Paint-1.JPG

show_image.html

If I was going to redo my dash, I'd have it powder coated. I'm kind of OCD about the dash and wouldn't want a paint finish on there that could scratch easily.

I painted mine in BC/CC, With PPG'S flat clear.

Attachments

• 000_1118 (600 x 400).jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 445
I painted my dash face with Rustoleum and cleared over it. On the top of the dash I used the John Deere Blitz Black; held the can back further to get a dry spray IIRC.
C

I used Rustoleum textured paint. It has a rough feel not unlike cement. It worked really well went down super nice and flat.

I used SEM Hot Rod Black on my dash and door panels. It came in a 2 part kit you have to mix. You may be able to get it pre mixed in rattle cans. They make SEM Trim Black in rattle cans, similar stuff. Just clean it well whatever paint you use or you will get fish eyes due to years of Armour All build up.

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

Good info. I know its been a while. But I am tagging this for future (a month or two) reference

try duplicolor semi gloss black from advanced auto i did my truck dash and it looked just like it came in 1974

I use SEM rim black, Its available in cans or in quarts. It a lacquer so its easy to mix the quart stuff.

The SEM HotRod black is the same stuff but its a Urethane.

In my 65 Dart GT, I used black "Appliance Epoxy" spray paint when I had everything out of the dash. Looks smooth and shiny. The original paint in mine looked smooth, with maybe slight "orange peel" (unintended, I'm sure). My 65 Newport has a smooth dash (green paint).

-
Back