Dash removal question 65 barracuda

-

autumn ash

Reaction score
Do i have to take the windshield out to get to the screws holding the dash fram in?

I don't know about early, but "it can be done" without removing windshield on the 67/ later. Now I don't know about AC, the car I did had no heater, radio, etc. You have to get up in there, and I used two die grinders with cutoff wheels-- my old axial air one, and a 90* cheapo I bought at HF cheap. You slice the sheet metal clip nuts and that allows you to remove it. Then reverse them, and in my case, I need just slightly longer screws to get them started, then when everything began to line up, "I think" I remember using the factory screws.
At least one other member here, I think Redfish, has done this as well

The answer is no, you don’t have to remove the windshield to get the dash out. As mentioned above, take out the glovebox liner, the radio, and the cluster, then go up in there with a die grinder and cut off the ends of the bolts that hold it in, then use a flat bar between the dash frame and the body and pop the frame off the last thread holding it in. When you replace it, you will have to use sheet metal screws and run them in from the bottom up. I’ve personally done this before with good results.

I put the same 5 OEM type U nuts in upside down under the gasket and same OEM type bolts in from bottom up. I don't think I'll ever need to remove the dash again but if I do it won't be as difficult.

-
Back