Dashboard Pad Removal

-

dodgedart1968

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1968 Dart 270. It is equipped with a unsightly dashboard bottom pad (see image). How do I remove it?
20211007_161003.jpg

Easiest way is to remove gauge cluster and glove box assembly. The pads are held in place by studs attached to the pad that go through the metal dash frame and held in place by nuts that can only be reached from behind the dash. You won't want to leave the pad off once you see the exposed unfinished dash frame though ! Be careful when you remove the pads not to damage them. If you still don't want them and they are in good condition, there are numerous people who will be only too glad to take them off your hands as they are very hard to find in good condition.

I was hoping to eliminate the lower, extended part of the pad. Is there a way to do that?

No pad at all? U could weld up the holes, personally I love the tray type design. Look at what a 69 dart looks like a mimic that.

You might be able to use a 69 and up pad and just don't worry about the other pieces...maybe someone will chime in...I've always thought that was too much dash pad also...just more that can go wrong,warp,fade,crack..etc.

Yes, I want to get rid of it. Just to clarify, are you saying that the lower pad is a separate piece, and I can remove it and achieve the older style dash (other than having to deal with the mounting holes)?

69 has no lower pad I think u need to swap entire dash? Someone can correct me

Yes, I want to get rid of it. Just to clarify, are you saying that the lower pad is a separate piece, and I can remove it and achieve the older style dash (other than having to deal with the mounting holes)?

Two separate pieces.

Depends on what you are willing to put up with as far as looks go. If you want a finished look, mounting holes will need to be filled. Also, the bevel on the cluster side looks to be a different profile than the passenger side . You really have to hate the pads to want to go through that much work! Not to mention de-valuing the car.

Like AAndrews said, If u look a 69 bottom frame is different then a 68 it’s much work to remove the pad and clean it up I’d leave it and buy another pad. From someone here or repair it yourself. Here’s what my top one looked like I just bought a slightly better one of a member here.

A37131CE-ADD1-42A5-ADA9-9FD61611FE5A.jpeg

I sense some confusion here. The lower pad is in excellent condition. I simply want to eliminate it. I think the dash looks clunky with the pad in place. I had thought Chrysler simply added the pad to the earlier dash. I assumed that the only issue after removal would be the mounting holes. Is the structure underneath just the old dash design, or is there anything needed other than plugging the holes to make a lower-pad-free finished dash.

No, the dash frame is different. One year only. Ashtray assembly is also unique to 68 models as well if I recall correctly. The 68 upper dash pad is also one year only as it is made to mate up to the lower pads for a finished look.

Heres a pic of a 69 dash. If this is the look you want, maybe you can locate one of these. Should fit no problem.

1969-barracuda-340s-fastback-interior-jpg.jpg

Heres a 68 dash for comparison

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHv0gaQePMgqHDCjXaz7KpuvR5CUMvUyTdjw&usqp=CAU.jpg

Last edited:
Metal dash is ugly underneath! For a nice job I would only consider replacing the entire dash with a '69 along with it's top pad. Sorry you don't like '68's only lower pad.

Thanks to everyone for all the great information. I've been a big fan of Chrysler dashboards ever since my first car which was a 1961 Dart, which I bought for $75 in 1967. This '68 design is the only one I've disliked. I don't think I'm alone, since it was a one-year only feature. I guess I'll have to learn to love it!

Chrysler spent a lot of money during 67 to add that knee protection to the bottom of the dash for 68 model. They added a little pad to the bottom of a/c vent assembly too. Only to have DOT mandate shoulder belts which required latches on the folding seat backs.
So they turned right back to the earlier less expensive to build design.

In '69 the lower pad was gone and the folding back seat became optional- all cost cutting measures.

The ‘68 pad under the A/C vents really finishes the ducts off nicely.

It looks way better with the pad then without.

Without that pad under the vents looks like it’s unfinished.

-
Back