Daughter is looking at a 1967 Valiant

-

torigr

Reaction score
My daughter Leslie is looking at a 1967 Plymouth Valient.Said it looks like it is in good shape and knows not to buy sight on scene.She is 20 years old and knows better to have me check it out.I came over to check it out for her and the guy wants $5,000.00 for it finding problems with it.I test drove it,brake problems in the front and I heard a noise coming out of the rear end.Leslie has the money and likes the car.Overall the body is in great shape with no rust not seeing a winter with the 318 having 77,000 miles on it.He won't go down in the price knowing I have to possibly replace the carrier and pinion bearings and find out what is wrong with the front brakes.It is a 2 door.How far should she go down on the price?Told the guy,$4,500 knowing buying the carrier and pinion bearings,gear lube including brake parts and he said no.Leslie is going to pay me for the parts and labor to fix the problems with the remaining money left she has saved up.

should hav eposted photos. for that money it better need zero rust or body work and should have decent 'driver' paint i think 45 is too much not knowing more

It was an old lady's car,she never drove it in the winter and she passed away 4 weeks ago.Offered $3,000.00 and he said no to that.I put a magnet on the body,no bondo anywhere at all.A piece of plastic was put on the garage floor every winter time it was stored.It is a good car for her.This seller's sister was not too happy with him and said it needed to go.She called my daughter and said it was hers for $3,000.00.Leslie is happy she did get it.Next part is mine,tearing apart the rear end and checking out the pinion and carrier bearings inspecting them.Luckily I have the factory special tools to take apart the rear end.I am suspecting bad wheel cylinders in the front causing the brake problems in the front.

Hmmmm----Plan on spending $500+ on complete parts for front & rear brakes + labor to install. The noise in the rear could easily be a $1000 problem + labor. I would back those numbers out of the available $$$$ and be willing to pay the balance if I really wanted the car. When you get into these deals, there seems to be no end of what you will find that needs fixing and above all, you want it to be reliable and safe for your daughter! Good luck!
JMHO---Rat

I drove it and heard grinding noises,I am good at the Chrysler rear ends.Luckily I have the wheel cylinders and have been told the front brake shoes and hardware were replaced before it was stored and the wheel cylinders were never replaced.New brake hoses in the front also.

your daughter is lucky to have you to do the work are you charging her for labour?

I am going to charge her for labor,$75.00 since she did the right thing by having me check it out before she bought it.Even signed an as is slip.I did get the rear end tore apart tonight,needs pinion and carrier bearings.Were pitted badly and shown her this.Trailered the car back to my place.The front wheel cylinders were froze right up and luckily I had two brand new NOS wheel cylinders for it.The front brakes work great now.Getting new axle and pinion seals including pinion and carrier bearings tomorrow.Have gear lube in my garage too.

You should get her involved in the repairs instead of doing them for her. These cars are going on 50 years old and need a lot more care than new cars. She should have some idea as what is involved in keep old car on road. Just my opinion.

If it is going to be her daily driver, I would seriously consider upgrading the front to disc brakes. Just sayin"

If it is going to be her daily driver, I would seriously consider upgrading the front to disc brakes. Just sayin"

X2 drum front brakes in today's driving are not safe.
I have almost wrecked my 48 willy a couple of times because of some idiot driver in front of me.

rear end could be $1000 in repairs?...Man you can buy another 7.25 for $50. Id trust drums on a 6 in a Kansas drought but thats about it.

I talked her into upgrading the front brakes to disc brakes and she said do it.I have front disc brake conversion for it and going to give it to her since she helps me out around the house a lot.I paid nothing for it,a trade for a car repair I did a year ago.She has a 2013 Dodge Dart as her daily driver.This one she will drive once in a while.Leslie is not mechanically inclined and I taught her these cars need more work than newer cars.The ring and pinion gears were not hurt when I torn down the rear end including the axles.

Why should she learn to work on her Valiant when she's got a pro around?
You guys can spend some quality time working on it, then you can take it out and thrash it!

Nice find.
Is your brake upgrade bbp? Good time to upgrade.

Why should she learn to work on her Valiant when she's got a pro around?
Cause the old pro isn't always going to be there. All of us should know where the tire changing equipment is and how to use it. how to spot a missing fan belt. What the gauges measure and what they mean in practical matters.

Cause the old pro isn't always going to be there. All of us should know where the tire changing equipment is and how to use it. how to spot a missing fan belt. What the gauges measure and what they mean in practical matters.

I was being facetious......
Of course she should learn. And nobody better to teach her!

I am going to charge her for labor,$75.00 since she did the right thing by having me check it out before she bought it.Even signed an as is slip.I did get the rear end tore apart tonight,needs pinion and carrier bearings.Were pitted badly and shown her this.Trailered the car back to my place.The front wheel cylinders were froze right up and luckily I had two brand new NOS wheel cylinders for it.The front brakes work great now.Getting new axle and pinion seals including pinion and carrier bearings tomorrow.Have gear lube in my garage too.

the reason i ask is im thinking of starting to charge family for labour maybe it will ease the workload .

-
Back