De-code a 383????

-

greenhornet

Reaction score
Can someone de-code this 383 for me?? The block and oil pan are gray, don't have a clue what it came out of...
Numbers on pad are-

E383
7-10-2
R

Thanks!!!

Well, "E" means 1969 model year engine. Not sure we can tell you much else. Maybe check out the VIN # on the pan rail for more info. (shrug)

Well, "E" means 1969 model year engine. Not sure we can tell you much else. Maybe check out the VIN # on the pan rail for more info. (shrug)

Thanks, I'll get those numbers when I pull it, I don't recall ever seeing a factory gray 383 or 440....

So, whats it in now? Could be a rebuilder's paint or an industrial engine.

It's in a 1960 Chevy school bus, someone has put the 452 heads on it.. Ever who put it in the bus knew what thay were doing, I was impressed with their swap..... The oil pan looks a little strange to me, this is the first mopar I've messed with in over 20 years...

It's in a 1960 Chevy school bus, someone has put the 452 heads on it.. Ever who put it in the bus knew what thay were doing, I was impressed with their swap..... The oil pan looks a little strange to me, this is the first mopar I've messed with in over 20 years...

Chevy school bus???...weird! You'd think....aw, never mind. The 452 heads were probably put on to deal with unlead gas ('452's have the hard exhaust seats in them) Lets see what the oil pan rail VIN stamping says. May give us a clue as to the engine's origin.

-
Back