De-Stroking a 360

-

Magiver

Reaction score
Since 340 blocks are expensive and getting harder to find has anyone ever had a 360 block main bearings resized for a 340 crank? Would this even be a worth while thing to do?
I have seen people stroke a 340 to a 360 but I'm not sure why someone would do that when they could just get a 360 instead. 360s are plentiful. 340s, not so much.

Since 340 blocks are expensive and getting harder to find has anyone ever had a 360 block main bearings resized for a 340 crank? Would this even be a worth while thing to do?
I have seen people stroke a 340 to a 360 but I'm not sure why someone would do that when they could just get a 360 instead. 360s are plentiful. 340s, not so much.

Personally I'd say that's going the wrong way, if I was going to do all the work to change the stroke, It put a 4 inch stroke crank in there. Don't want to lose cubes.

The potential benefit would be rpm range?? I would guess anyways, not really my strong topic so im sure somebody else has some input.

Only reason to destroke an engine is to help make it fit a cubic inch limited class, which sometimes has a cubic inch-to-pound rule. 340 has the advantage of OEM forged cranks and the main journals are smaller which provide less friction. Otherwise, everything else is basically the same. Standard bore 4.00" 360's can be bored to the standard bore 4.04" 340 size. All else being equal, more cubic inches will result in more power.

Mopar did it in the Trans Am series with the 340 because the rules had a 305 cubic inch limit. The weight to cubic inch rules typically are found in Modified and Competition Eliminator type drag racing classes. A small cubic inch engine can be made to put out more HP per cubic inch, but more cubic inches tend to make more overall HP. Also, the smaller you go, the more rpm you need, cost goes up and reliability goes down. It's mainly a special application mod.

Someone use to, or may still do, make bearing spacers to fit a 318/340 crank in a 360 block. The main reason why people stroke a 340 is to get more cubes with what the have available. The do the same with 360's and big blocks.

This may turn into a 340 vs 360 thread, like several in the past. But that'd not the point.

Crap! Replying again! I hate this crap of reposting due to unknown crap!
Here we go! The short version!

You can not size down the 360 mains. But there was a guy selling spacers that go into the block. You would then need to line home the block and spacers to fit the smaller 318/340 crank.
It is worth while doing if you can do the machine work. To meet class rules or just because you like the short stroke rev-abilty.
Otherwise, it is more expensive to do than just purchasing the 340 block.

Stroking a 340 to a 360 isn't exactly possible without a race crank that are forged and expensive. Though, making use of a 360 crank into a 340 nets you 367 cubes before overbore. At a .030 overbore, you get 372 cubes.
4.10 = 378 cubes.

This was a mid '70's poor man stroker trick before cheap cast crank strokers were made.

Thanks Loco. You saved me some time. I tried replying 3 GDamn times to this fraking question and each frakin time there was an issue. I got tired of the long explanations I tried to answer and answer well.

Thanks Rumble for the info. Didn't mean to get you upset with this frakin question.
And I didn't mean to say that 340s were turned into 360s, should have wrote fitting a 360 crank in a 340 block, (the poor mans stroker kit).

Build a 360 and put a 340 Pie Tin on top of the Air Cleaner...99.99999% of people will never know...and it will be cheaper and faster.

Hamburger used to sell the spacers. What are you going to use for pistons? Or use 6.250 Chevy rods...

I first saw the idea of using the longer stroke 360 crank in a larger bore 340 block in the mid1980s in an article titled Sleeping Giant in Car Craft magazine. The result was a 380+ cubic inch small block -LONG before stroker cranks were easy to come by. The article was to document an idea proposed by some little known Chrysler exec, named Tom Hoover...

I'm afraid that this doesn't look like a great alternative these days with the scarcity of 340 blocks

I have no idea what pistons would work. I don't think a 360 could be bored far enought for 340 pistons.
I've been told it can and has been done. But now I know that I'm not going to consider it as an option.
I wish I had a 340 but all I've got are 318s and 360s.

I have no idea what pistons would work. I don't think a 360 could be bored far enought for 340 pistons.
I've been told it can and has been done. But now I know that I'm not going to consider it as an option.
I wish I had a 340 but all I've got are 318s and 360s.

that was done when there was a very limited selection of pistons for 360s...now today...there are more pistons available for 360 then 340s...so it is not an economical choice today..

-
Back