Death at the local track

-
That's sad. We have a fairly local track like that. Someone was killed there a few years ago. Made not one difference in how they did things. I won't even go there.

That's sad. We have a fairly local track like that. Someone was killed there a few years ago. Made not one difference in how they did things. I won't even go there.

I hope it changes this track at least a little bit. 150 mph through the traps, he should have at least an 8 point cage IMO. They say he only had a hoop and 2 bars supposedly. Still waiting to hear how he really had it set up. We all like to run, but safety isn't something any one of us should cut corners on, especially with a car that fast.

For one thing they need to ban that style guard rail at all race tracks. There is much better technology out there. By the looks of the car it seems it was not safe for the speed it was capable of.

Thats tragic.and so avoidable."he never lifts"is as far as i needed to read.everyone needs to get out of it on occasion.

Most of our tracks have nothing but 1/8 mile tracks and George Rays old track it is a must that all drivers 8.50 and faster have a helmet, this is sad to see this morning, prayers to all the family and friends.

Power has been coming to easy these days....And people are not bringing the appropriate amount of safety with it...

Power has been coming to easy these days....And people are not bringing the appropriate amount of safety with it...

This :glasses7: Very well said Breadburner, so true :glasses7:

I agree. Which is why I personally will be giving up some speed and weight in my dart. Yeah, its designed for PT and the strip, has a 440 going in, but, I'll be building it with a full body cage with chromemoly tubing. this thing will probably run 11s, maybe high 10s, but im building for specs much faster. Makes a PITA to get in but at least I've done what I can to reduce the risks. Can never make anything death proof

"car got squirrely and he stayed on it" ..... "He doesn't lift" is what the posting states. Sad and Sorry, but that is bad driving. Does the proper safety equipment save this guy?? We will never know, but to me this one is owned by the driver, not on the track.

I hope it changes this track at least a little bit. 150 mph through the traps, he should have at least an 8 point cage IMO. They say he only had a hoop and 2 bars supposedly. Still waiting to hear how he really had it set up. We all like to run, but safety isn't something any one of us should cut corners on, especially with a car that fast.

Don't hope - create change if you feel strongly about it. This is an NHRA track. Get involved. Work with the owners - become a tech inspector yourself. There is a right way to help - find it. And on a personal note - everyone should take responsibility for their own safety - don't rely on a tech guy to keep you safe - download a rule book and actually read it - ask questions - check your **** - it's "our" sport and there are people who would love to take it away.

And on a personal note - everyone should take responsibility for their own safety - don't rely on a tech guy to keep you safe - download a rule book and actually read it - ask questions - - it's "our" sport and there are people who would love to take it away.

Naw, we are so use to the government doing all our thinking for us, that will never work. Responsibility..... ?????? That is why we need self braking cars..... If someone doesn't protect us from ourselves, we will self destruct.....

Point is if you can build/buy that kind of performance, you know about safety equipment. If it didn't happen at the track, it would have happened on the street. When cars get "squirrelly" and guyz don't lift, all I can say is "wow".

Again, Sorry for him and Sad for his family, but it isn't the track that keeps us safe, it should be OURSELVES!!!!!!!!!

Flat black dodge?Saw the youtube clip and thought the same thing about your bud.Here Snell approved helmets and cages 11.99 and quicker.

Prayers go out to his family.. This particular track has been very loose about their tech inspections. My buddy ran out there just the weekend before, running 11's pass after pass with no helmet and no cage. I bet this will change everything there.

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/...ional-Dragway-372855081.html?device=phone&c=y

The seat & belts were bolted to the floor pan.
They all came loose.
It doesn't matter how many bars that are in it, if the seat & belts don't keep you in place.

This is making me rethink one of my cars, as the seat is bolted to the floor pan without being tied to the cage.

Flat black dodge?Saw the youtube clip and thought the same thing about your bud.Here Snell approved helmets and cages 11.99 and quicker.

Yeah that's the one. He had to order the SNELL rated helmet but it didn't get here in time so he just ran without it. I figured they'd say something after his first pass or two but nothing was ever said to him.

Clinton how long has that track been around, I grew up around there and have never heard of it?

Clinton how long has that track been around, I grew up around there and have never heard of it?

First opened in 1967. It closed at the end of 2011, and reopened 3 or 4 years ago.

Used to be called Wichita International Raceway back in the mid to late 70's when I went there. Was a AHRA track at that time. I can remember a guy running off the end of the track in a 150 MPH Roadster and losing his life back then.

I got more of the scoop today from the local race shop on what happened. The guy had a 6 pt cage in the car. He lied to tech and said it might run 10.80's so he was passed and gtg. He ran a 9.10. He hit the guard rail for the first exit sideways and took out the 3 main posts at that exit. The initial impact broke his back, neck, and had some sort of brain trauma. The shop said that even if he had the right cage, it wouldn't have saved him because of how he impacted and how violent it was. Had he hit the guard rail anywhere else, would have been a normal wreck, bouncing off the rail, etc. Kind of a freak accident.

-
Back