Death of a dart

-

stansblue72

one of one 1953 ME!
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I thought I would say a few words over my dearly departed 72 dart.
It was a present from my Daughter and Son-in-law, Nicest present I ever received.
I use to tell my Son -in-law about my 70 340 Swinger that I had back in the 70's and they took it upon themselves to help me relive a little of my youth.

dart%20008.jpg

My best friend called me up and said I need to come over to his house right now with no questions asked. A bit confused I showed up at his house about a half hour later. After a few couple drinks I asked him what was so important that I had to come over in such a hurry. His response was Oh nothing I just wanted you to come over and have a drink with me.

I left his place and when I arrived home my wife and kids where standing out in the front yard waiting. When I pulled into the driveway this is what I seen.

dart%20009.jpg

Dammed if it didn't make me cry!

Shortly after that we started redoing the interior, It had a broke down bench seat in it and the dark green on the inside didn't match the outside.
We pulled the motor overhauled it, put in a bigger cam and had the heads reworked.

dart%20003.jpg

We built a shop in the backyard to keep it in and for working on it.
About a year ago I noticed the torsion bar was bent on the drivers side. Funny thing was I could never get it to handle very well it was almost scary to take out on the freeway because it liked to dance all over the place.

The motor also developed a curios knock so in the shop it went and we pulled the heads off. Figured out that the shop that did the heads had screwed them all up and had to have them redone.

In the mean time decide to go ahead and pull the motor and tranny paint the engine bay body color and overhaul the 904.

Well when we started cleaning the bay up Larry noticed something funny with the frame rail on the driver side about even with the firewall.
I handed him a screwdriver and he knocked out a huge chunk of bondo that was covering up a big rusted out hole in the frame rail.
So we put the dart up on jack stands and started going over it underneath to see if any other bondo patch jobs existed. They did all over and where sprayed over with undercoating so you couldn't see them very well.

poor%20dart%20003.jpg

This was covered up with fiber glass and under coating too.

74%20dart%20122.jpg

This is what was found in the trunk when we got to digging. Funny thing was you couldn't see any of it till we made the decision to use it for a parts car for another dart. when we got to digging it almost fell apart.

74%20dart%20004.jpg

74%20dart%20005.jpg

So now here is what is left of it and will soon be making it's way to parts car heaven.

74%20dart%20121.jpg

Ross might be coming to haul the carcass off so it can at least help save some other darts some where down the line.

74%20dart.jpg

So here's where my tale of whoa ends. But parts of it will live on in the project I have sitting in the shop and one thing I know there won't be any rust cover ups on this one and it will be safe to drive down the road!

well that sucks, but at least there are some parts to use from it. vant blame the kids for trying though right, the thought that counts and all. i bet theyre pissed to that they bought it and the guy that sold it didnt seem to care that someone might get hurt driving it. oh well its a good thing that you didnt. good luck with the new one.

Gosh, that's almost a movie...I laughed, I cried, the plot wasn't predictable and it had a good ending.

Seriously though, that's a lot to go through, and you came out of it with a positive attitude, in spite of the seller having no scruples.

Too bad

If it makes you feel better let's see tomorrow what can be put towards a little 69 Dart I know of......

Ps I hope you like the Captain he's coming for a visit.

Might have been but it needed three frame rails, driver side floor pan, both rear inner fenders (one rear seat belt mount was held in with bondo) and a new trunk pan. For $500 I bought another dart that is a good solid car. I don't think I could have bought all the parts I needed to fix it for a fraction of that. So I took the advice of some members here and took it off the road.
All the good parts on it the engine, transmission, rear end, all the interior, hood, fenders, bumpers are all going on the new dart. So I think I'm money ahead by doing it this way.

Saving it is what I really wanted to do, but it was just more work then I was capable of. Who knows though it might have buffed out! :-D

Wow Stan I didn't realize it was that bad, good call on pulling it off the road. I am still trying to figure out a time in this crazy life of mine to make it up there with a trailer to load it up on.

Wow are you sure it's not a Canadian car? Lol,they rot like that up here and it's common to find one that bad.Its too bad about that Dart but at the same time you pulled a very unsafe car off the road. Heck it might not have survived an accident with that much rot.

Sorry to hear about the bondo car, but it's a good story and very cool of you to have a positive attitude! hehe :)

I found a credit card receipt from Wisconsin dated 1984 behind the glove box, so that probably account for the rust.

Here's what we found on the driver side front frame rail after knocking off all the crap some bone head put on it.

000_0563.jpg

poor%20dart%20010.jpg

poor%20dart%20011.jpg

This one is looking down the frame.

poor%20dart%20015.jpg

Yikes, what a bondo'd nightmare. It's amazing that somebody would use bondo on the frame, unreal. Just out of curiosity, how much was the car purchased for?

Does your state have any laws in this regard? Im thinking you been had...

$6000, wow...I wonder how many owners that car has had over the years, and which one is responsible for the bondo cover-up. Who knows, the last owner may have been had as well.

The last owner was a car lot, My son-in-law bought it from them. I really don't think they are the ones responsible for the cover up. It looks like it was done quit a wile ago. I'll tell you one thing who ever did it was a master at cover up! It was very hard to find the areas that he did it to. But to do it to the frame is just plane lame. Hey that rhymes!
The more I looks like at it it looks like it was wrecked at some point and fixed as cheaply as possible.

I'm not all that upset because the dart I'm building now is going to have all new parts and I know the guy that doing the build. And it will be just he way I want it.:-D
Might have to change my screen name because this one is going blue.
Or maybe I'll leave my screen name as is in honor of the dearly departed.:cheers:

It was a pleasure to meet you Stan, next time just warn a guy about the peg leg and the eye patch.....

Yup guys this car was a goner, what's disturbing is someone spent a bit of time hiding all this rust. Not cool

Roger

Hi there Roger glad to see you made it back across the border alright. You'll be glad to know me and the captain are having a meeting right now!

I haven't made yet still at my place near MT Baker till tomorrow. You stillmay geta call form the "MAN" so keep your cell phone on lol. I escape the family to my molbile to surf the web.

Roger

Made it back, the custom guys never even gave the front end a 2nd glance:thumleft:

Again thanks Stan I owe you big time!

-
Back