December 7, 1941

-

Bad Sport

HALF A BUBBLE OFF
Staff member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Let us not forget.

2403 military service personnel lost their lives that day, and over 1100 others were injured.

A big thanks to those past and present that serve our country with honor.

Nope will never forget. Had a great uncle that died on the USS Oklahoma that day and my father fought in the South Pacific.
Many thanks to all who have served.
:prayer::prayer::prayer:

Let us not forget.

nothingbutdarts said:
I just hope future generations don't forget![/img]

The "forgetting" has already begun, and seems to be by design.
Many young people (born post 1980) have never learned the significance of 12/7/41. The know, or at least heard of the place, "Pearl Harbor", but many cannot link that date and place together, unless prompted.
Some cannot tell you what took place, others can't tell you who was involved, and still others have no idea at all. Those young people who do know the date, what happened, and where, and what it meant in US and World history are a minority of today's youth.

"Pearl Harbor", and "Dec.7, 1941" are being relegated to places and dates in history that MOST people born after 1980 will not hold in reverence.

This place and date will soon join the ranks of historic moments, places,and events as:
"The Boston Massacre"
The various "Acts": (Sugar Act, Stamp Act, Quartering Act, Tea Act, Townshend Act, etc,)
"The Boston Tea Party".
"Concord and Lexington"
"The Shot heard round the world"
"The battle of Bunker Hill"
"The Battles of Camden", "Trenton", "Princeton", "Long Island", and "the Invasion of Canada".
"Washington Crossing the Delaware"

How many recall:
"Fort Sumter".
"Bull Run"
"Shiloh"
"Antietam"
"Fredericksburg
"Chancellosrville".
"Chickamauga"
"Cold Harbor"
"The march to the Sea".

We all know the names, but, what do they mean? What happened there? Where are they? When did they come into historical significance?

At one time all of these things were known by school children, I'd wager many adults here, and most of the young people here can't tell you the significance of most of these places and names.

Pearl is among the historical places and events that is slipping into historical oblivion, and, unfortunately, there are many in today's society who prefer that to be the case. Pearl was a dark moment in American history, that "Awoke a sleeping giant", and believe it or not, there are those Americans who believe, and are propagating that WWII was America's fault, just as the preach that 911 and the world's ills are America's fault. The troubling part is, these people have grown in prominence and in clout, and now are setting the curriculum the not only casts shadows on America, but also allows the youngest generation to "forget".

I agree with you Bruce, "Let us never forget", That's my hope, too, but the reality has a different course in mind.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just thoroughly disgusted with the course this country's, so called, "leaders", have set for our youth, and our future.

Thanks to ALL our Service Members past and present. Where would we be right now without them?
We don't forget Dec. 7 here.

Thank you ,to all who have served ,& remembered in memorial.

A few pictures from 2010...

Attachments

• DSCF0088 (Copy).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCF0089 (Copy).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCF0093 (Copy).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCF0098 (Copy).jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCF0107 (Copy).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCF0108 (Copy).jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCF0112 (Copy).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 126
Yes..God bless all the men and women who gave their lives..

Let us not forget.

I never will. And my kids know the significance of the date as well.
My uncle was onboard the U.S.S. West Virginia that morning. He was blown into the water during one of the hits on the ship and had to swim under burning oil to get away from the ship. To his dying day he could not go into water deeper than his knees without getting flashbacks. They had a pool at their home but he never went in.
On the other hand, I was talking with my nephew the other day and he'd never heard of the Doolittle raid on Tokyo that happened just a few months after Pearl Harbor. Unbelievable!

In 08 my wife and I went to Hawaii for our 25th anniversary. We spent a whole day at Pearl, went to the Arizona, walked through the Missouri as well as the submarine that's there. Knowing full well what happened there made it a very moving, emotional experience.

I have respect for all who served and what they went through, but after walking through that sub my respect for any submariner, especially the ones in those WWII era subs, went up several notches. I am not claustrophobic but I don't think I could have done that.

I don't remember the number now, but a significant number of subs did not come back from going out on patrol during WWII.

After getting back home and going back to work people naturally ask about your vacation.
When trying to explain about visiting Pearl and what happened there to some of my younger coworkers made me all emotional again, but they seemed to know nothing about it, nor even about more recent events like Vietnam.

It is sad that that young people are not even aware of relatively recent history, let alone anything from the civil war or revolutionary war that Frankie mentioned.

Had a uncle that was there. They were all hung over and thought it was some sort of air show. They were all standing out in the open getting peeled. He only talked about it once to me. I didn't see him much do to where they lived. What a neat guy. Jess Wheeler was his name. He was there delivering supplies. Great luck huh?

I've been fortunate enough to have been to the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial twice. It's a VERY humbling experience, standing on the memorial and looking down at the Arizona just beneath the surface of the water. Every now and then, a drop of oil will come out of the ship, rise to the surface, and make the multicolored rings as it spreads. When it does that, it's long been called the tears of our dead Sailors and Marines that died there that day. The last time I was there was on Memorial Day of 2003. We had to wait(gladly and gratefully) to go out to the memorial, while Navy divers placed the cremains of an Arizona survivor in the ship with his mates who died that day. One of the things that impressed me the most about that experience, was what I saw on an active duty ship that was in port in Pearl Harbor. The U.S.S. Carl Vinson had just returned from the Persian Gulf, and on the deck of the ship, were hundreds, if not thousands of sailors in dress uniform and standing at attention while the old Sailors remains were placed in the ship, and during the memorial service for him that was performed on the Arizona Memorial. I'll never forget that as long as I have a functioning brain cell. :prayer:

I don't remember the number now, but a significant number of subs did not come back from going out on patrol during WWII.

The 52 Submarines Lost in World War II:

USS Albacore (SS-218)
USS Golet (SS-361)
USS Pickerel (SS-177)
USS Sculpin (SS-191)
USS Amberjack (SS-219)
USS Grampus (SS-207)
USS Pompano (SS-181)
USS Sealion (SS-195)
USS Argonaut (SS-166)
USS Grayback (SS-208)
USS R-12 (SS-89)
USS Seawolf (SS-197)
USS Barbel (SS-316)
USS Grayling (SS-209)
USS Robalo (SS-273)
USS Shark (SS-174)
USS Bonefish (SS-223)
USS Grenadier (SS-210)
USS Runner (SS-275)
USS Shark (SS-314)
USS Bullhead (SS-332)
USS Growler (SS-215)
USS S-26 (SS-131)
USS Snook (SS-279)
USS Capelin (SS-289)
USS Grunion (SS-216)
USS S-27 (SS-132)
USS Swordfish (SS-193)
USS Cisco (SS-290)
USS Gudgeon (SS-211)
USS S-28 (SS-133)
USS Tang (SS-306)
USS Corvina (SS-226)
USS Harder (SS-257)
USS S-36 (SS-141)
USS Trigger (SS-237)
USS Darter (SS-227)
USS Herring (SS-233)
USS S-39 (SS-144)
USS Triton (SS-201)
USS Dorado (SS-248)
USS Kete (SS-369)
USS S-44 (SS-155)
USS Trout (SS-202)
USS Escolar (SS-294)
USS Lagarto (SS-371)
USS Scamp (SS-277)
USS Tullibee (SS-284)
USS Flier (SS-250)
USS Perch (SS-176)
USS Scorpion (SS-278)
USS Wahoo (SS-238)

Reasons For Submarine Losses:

Abbreviations used:
AB - Aerial Bomb dropped by aircraft
DC - Depth Charge dropped by surface vessel or aircraft
GF - Gun Fire from a vessel's deck guns
CT - Circular Torpedo run
FF - Friendly Fire or hostile action by another American vessel
NCR - Non-Combat Related Loss - training or accident related
RA - Ran Aground
MN - Enemy Mine
SB - Shore Battery gun emplacement
SM - Sunk by enemy submarine

Reasons Submarines
Unknown - 16 Capelin, Dorado, Escolar, Grampus, Grayling, Growler, Grunion, Kete, Pickerel, Pompano, Runner, Scorpion, Shark I, Snook, Swordfish, & Triton
AB - 5 Barbel, Bullhead, Grenadier, Gudgeon, & Sealion
AB & DC - 2 Grayback & Wahoo
DC - 10 Amberjack, Bonefish, Cisco, Golet, Harder, Lagarto, Scamp, Shark II, Trigger, & Trout
DC & GF - 3 Argonaut, Perch, & Sculpin
CT - 2 Tang & Tullibee
FF - 1 Seawolf
GF - 1 S-44
NCR - 3 R-12, S-26 & S-28
RA - 4 Darter, S-27, S-36, & S-39
MN - 3 Albacore, Flier, & Robalo
SB - 1 Herring
SM - 1 Corvina

The 52 Submarines Lost in World War II:

USS Albacore (SS-218)
USS Golet (SS-361)
USS Pickerel (SS-177)
USS Sculpin (SS-191)
USS Amberjack (SS-219)
USS Grampus (SS-207)
USS Pompano (SS-181)
USS Sealion (SS-195)
USS Argonaut (SS-166)
USS Grayback (SS-208)
USS R-12 (SS-89)
USS Seawolf (SS-197)
USS Barbel (SS-316)
USS Grayling (SS-209)
USS Robalo (SS-273)
USS Shark (SS-174)
USS Bonefish (SS-223)
USS Grenadier (SS-210)
USS Runner (SS-275)
USS Shark (SS-314)
USS Bullhead (SS-332)
USS Growler (SS-215)
USS S-26 (SS-131)
USS Snook (SS-279)
USS Capelin (SS-289)
USS Grunion (SS-216)
USS S-27 (SS-132)
USS Swordfish (SS-193)
USS Cisco (SS-290)
USS Gudgeon (SS-211)
USS S-28 (SS-133)
USS Tang (SS-306)
USS Corvina (SS-226)
USS Harder (SS-257)
USS S-36 (SS-141)
USS Trigger (SS-237)
USS Darter (SS-227)
USS Herring (SS-233)
USS S-39 (SS-144)
USS Triton (SS-201)
USS Dorado (SS-248)
USS Kete (SS-369)
USS S-44 (SS-155)
USS Trout (SS-202)
USS Escolar (SS-294)
USS Lagarto (SS-371)
USS Scamp (SS-277)
USS Tullibee (SS-284)
USS Flier (SS-250)
USS Perch (SS-176)
USS Scorpion (SS-278)
USS Wahoo (SS-238)

Reasons For Submarine Losses:

Abbreviations used:
AB - Aerial Bomb dropped by aircraft
DC - Depth Charge dropped by surface vessel or aircraft
GF - Gun Fire from a vessel's deck guns
CT - Circular Torpedo run
FF - Friendly Fire or hostile action by another American vessel
NCR - Non-Combat Related Loss - training or accident related
RA - Ran Aground
MN - Enemy Mine
SB - Shore Battery gun emplacement
SM - Sunk by enemy submarine

Reasons Submarines
Unknown - 16 Capelin, Dorado, Escolar, Grampus, Grayling, Growler, Grunion, Kete, Pickerel, Pompano, Runner, Scorpion, Shark I, Snook, Swordfish, & Triton
AB - 5 Barbel, Bullhead, Grenadier, Gudgeon, & Sealion
AB & DC - 2 Grayback & Wahoo
DC - 10 Amberjack, Bonefish, Cisco, Golet, Harder, Lagarto, Scamp, Shark II, Trigger, & Trout
DC & GF - 3 Argonaut, Perch, & Sculpin
CT - 2 Tang & Tullibee
FF - 1 Seawolf
GF - 1 S-44
NCR - 3 R-12, S-26 & S-28
RA - 4 Darter, S-27, S-36, & S-39
MN - 3 Albacore, Flier, & Robalo
SB - 1 Herring
SM - 1 Corvina

Just damn,on the damage to our sea forces. Damn.....

nothingbutdarts said:
I just hope future generations don't forget![/img]

The "forgetting" has already begun, and seems to be by design.
Many young people (born post 1980) have never learned the significance of 12/7/41. The know, or at least heard of the place, "Pearl Harbor", but many cannot link that date and place together, unless prompted.
Some cannot tell you what took place, others can't tell you who was involved, and still others have no idea at all. Those young people who do know the date, what happened, and where, and what it meant in US and World history are a minority of today's youth.

"Pearl Harbor", and "Dec.7, 1941" are being relegated to places and dates in history that MOST people born after 1980 will not hold in reverence.

This place and date will soon join the ranks of historic moments, places,and events as:
"The Boston Massacre"
The various "Acts": (Sugar Act, Stamp Act, Quartering Act, Tea Act, Townshend Act, etc,)
"The Boston Tea Party".
"Concord and Lexington"
"The Shot heard round the world"
"The battle of Bunker Hill"
"The Battles of Camden", "Trenton", "Princeton", "Long Island", and "the Invasion of Canada".
"Washington Crossing the Delaware"

How many recall:
"Fort Sumter".
"Bull Run"
"Shiloh"
"Antietam"
"Fredericksburg
"Chancellosrville".
"Chickamauga"
"Cold Harbor"
"The march to the Sea".

We all know the names, but, what do they mean? What happened there? Where are they? When did they come into historical significance?

At one time all of these things were known by school children, I'd wager many adults here, and most of the young people here can't tell you the significance of most of these places and names.

Pearl is among the historical places and events that is slipping into historical oblivion, and, unfortunately, there are many in today's society who prefer that to be the case. Pearl was a dark moment in American history, that "Awoke a sleeping giant", and believe it or not, there are those Americans who believe, and are propagating that WWII was America's fault, just as the preach that 911 and the world's ills are America's fault. The troubling part is, these people have grown in prominence and in clout, and now are setting the curriculum the not only casts shadows on America, but also allows the youngest generation to "forget".

I agree with you Bruce, "Let us never forget", That's my hope, too, but the reality has a different course in mind.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just thoroughly disgusted with the course this country's, so called, "leaders", have set for our youth, and our future.

Excellent post Frankie, you are so right. The younger generation has no idea of the sacrifice that has taken place for their freedoms. To them a "sacrifice" is going two or three hours without an I Phone.

-
Back