Decision made!

-

DesertRat

Leading edge boomer
Reaction score
After contemplating it for 6 years I have decided to use my stock exhaust manifolds on my 273 build. (need gearvendors OD setup) I want dual exhaust all the way back and my research shows "Accurate" exhaust to have a bolt in system. Anyone have experience using a dual system that would approximate mine?
TIA-DR:burnout:

First, nice job on the ride, she's lookin sweet!Second,I suppose everybody
w/factory manny's & duals out there,so I'm not sure what you're asking,but for a mild build
you're good to go.Even 2" duals will get the job done for you,I ran them std. pipe bender built
w/glasspaks,dumping in frt. of the rear wheels on a 318 yrs. ago.I took every spoiled kid w/a
5.0 'stang to school w/that car('69 dart),stock '73 eng. w/crane blazerII,eddy DP& holley600.
Stock logs, I took the riser out & welded the holes up,nothin' special.Lol,the eng. actually
came out of a derby car,and other than a port match to the intake,the heads were left as is
stock springs and all.I believe 93-94mph in the qtr. was the norm on the usual warm day,but
I'm sure more compression&some finer tuning would have netted more,the stock springs rev
limited me to 5,800. Hope that is helpful to you,that was only about 27yrs. ago!!

P.S. You mite want to put any pre-made pipes on at an exh. shop You like w/a bender,no
matter who makes them,they may need a tweak so.... I've bent them off the cards& spent
20mins. making them actually fit right on occasion. Cheers!!:coffee2:

K-6, Thanks for the input. I think with my build the stockers will be fine. What I need to do is get some stock dual headpipes for manifiolds so I can temp in some mufflers while I tune the engine from a fresh build. After I have the car turned into a runner, I will trailer it to one of the local shops that specializes in these old cars. The Accurate bolt-in system is intriguing but a little spendy for this stage of my build. Hope to be assembling engine next month and have it in by December.O:)
DR

Stock duals would have been on 340 or 383 cars. You would have to use 340 manifolds to use them. 67 273 Commando would have been the single large exhaust. If you have the Y pipe just hang a Cherry Bomb or other straight thru glass pack on that with a turn down pipe.

running duals of a 273 that originally came with the single exh, its just a matter of having a trans crossmember that accepts the duals, having a hanger at the undercar rear seat area,
I take my cars to the local pipe bender. I can't justify the cost of the mandrel bent stuff. i'm sure they pipes are wonderful!

Good information guys. Anyone want to trade a blasted, powdercoated, prepped 67 904 transmission crossmember-for a dual exhaust crossmember? Or can I modify mine so I can route the pipes so I could have an "H" pipe? Wondering if I will ever get this car on the road:???:

IMO, a custom bent 2-1/4 MANDREL bent dual exhaust set up would be well. It will be a bit pricey over a regular bent pipe, but well worth it. Bring your choice of mufflers to the shop and drive away happy.:D

IMO, a custom bent 2-1/4 MANDREL bent dual exhaust set up would be well. It will be a bit pricey over a regular bent pipe, but well worth it. Bring your choice of mufflers to the shop and drive away happy.:D

Well put Rumble. The 2 1/4 set up isn't too big for the 273 and later down the road if you want to upsize to a bigger engine you may not need to change exhaust. A quality 2 1/4" set up would make any mild small block happy. Does your trans cross member only have one bend for exhaust? You can modify yours. Use search . There are quite a few threads here about that. 340 manifolds are a bit spendy to find but they have a large outlet and aren't as restrictive as the 273 manifolds. tmm

Thanks, I will search the forum for a crossmember dual exhaust mod. Meanwhile a couple of photos of the manifolds and crossmember. O:)
Hope to have a good day in the shop. Going to finish rear speaker install and hang doors if all goes well. Good day to all-----DR:cheers:

Attachments

• Manifolds.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 175
  • TransMount.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 189
Thanks, I will search the forum for a crossmember dual exhaust mod. Meanwhile a couple of photos of the manifolds and crossmember. O:)
Hope to have a good day in the shop. Going to finish rear speaker install and hang doors if all goes well. Good day to all-----DR:cheers:

The special cross member only helps with an early, 64-66 "A" body you should be good to go.

-
Back