Decisions = 904 vs. 727

-

Cuprum-74

Moparus Fanaticus
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok here's the pickle:

I have a 1974 Duster that had a 318/904 combo. I just recently purchased this car the 318 is junk it was in bad shape, however I have 1990 360 out of a Ram,
I'm hopping it up to 9.7 compression ratio and is a Hydraulic roller cam, it is going to have a beefier cam as well.

The 904 I have looks like was freshly rebuilt, as it is very clean as in spotless, not sure what kind of work was done to it.

I know from what I been reading that the 904 is lighter duty but has less parasitic drag, but can be beefed up

I also have a 727 rebuild kit with No yoyo kit, but I have no 2WD A727.

I can get one off of salvage yard van for like $125
But then I will need to shorten the drive shaft and other things to fit this thing in.

Or I can keep this 904 and beef this thing up. Sell the 727 rebuild kit.

Suggestions?

This will probably be behind a 350ish hp motor.

This is for budget tranny rebuild options, I know getting an A500 or A518 super T-Rex special whatever is awesome and certainly will be in the future but not now.

Now keep in mind this is my first attempt to rebuild a tranny, I have an expert who is volunteering to help instruct me.

904 has a lower gear set, gets the HP to the pavement a lot better than the 727.
Racers often use a combination of 904 parts in a 727 case.

Not all 904s have the low gear set. Only the later A999s usually late 70s-early 80s.
The 904 takes about 30hp less to spin. The best upgrade I ever made to my Barracuda was swapping the 727 to s 904 with a 2.74 fist gear and a good converter. I saw use the 904.

Like I said in your other thread, I would use the 904. If it appears to be fresh have your buddy check it out, throw a Transgo-tf2 shift kit in it and run it.

When you-bench race-you can come up with all sorts of scenerios.But the bulk of guy's will never tell the difference between the two.If you have a good 904,put a shift kit in or just drill the plate for harder shifts and go.

Like I said in your other thread, I would use the 904. If it appears to be fresh have your buddy check it out, throw a Transgo-tf2 shift kit in it and run it.

Sorry about that, just making a final decision here.

So does anybody want an A727 rebuild kit? Half off the market price?

Anyone?

Sorry about that, just making a final decision here.

So does anybody want an A727 rebuild kit? Half off the market price?

Anyone?

No worries. I have a friend with an all out race car (runs 9's) that runs a 904, it's built of course, but he hits it at 3400 from a trans brake off the line and it has held up well.

With your estimate of 350HP I think you'd be fine.

No brainer here. 904 all the way.

A 904 doesn't need anything exotic in it to make it last. Especially at the power your talking about.

-
Back