Deck and Squared

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
I have a question about decking a sbm. What have you guys had to have removed in order to get the block square? Is 0.040" to much, what's a safe amount to have removed? I would hate to order a set of KB-167's and find out that the block needs a 0.025" to get it squared. Is there a piston with a 1.790" compression height? I was thinking about running the pistons at zero deck height for compression.

I don't see anything?
Thanks for looking. I understand that I won't know for sure until the engine is torn down, but what options do I have if the block would need more than a 0.012" cut to square up the block. I'd like to have pistons at zero deck height for improved compression.

I have a question about decking a sbm. What have you guys had to have removed in order to get the block square? Is 0.040" to much, what's a safe amount to have removed? I would hate to order a set of KB-167's and find out that the block needs a 0.025" to get it squared. Is there a piston with a 1.790" compression height? I was thinking about running the pistons at zero deck height for compression.
Not very often (never!) That I can offer any insight.
I put KB167's in my 318. Six of the deck heights came out at zero and two were a couple of thou down. I called that good.
I would do the mock assembly and hope you are as lucky as I was.

Not very often (never!) That I can offer any insight.
I put KB167's in my 318. Six of the deck heights came out at zero and two were a couple of thou down. I called that good.
I guess I was lucky.
That's great. I'm thinking about using KB167 's with promaxx heads. The promaxx offers more for the money than the speedmaster's. Promaxx heads come with a 5 angle valve job and hand blended bowls.

?
I doubt you would need to cut 0.025" or even 0.012" to get them cleaned up & square, you might need to cut them 0.012" to get 0 deck though - depends what the deck height is when you start.
If it has been heavily decked before and your starting with a low enough deck height for the KBs to sit proud then you can have the piston crowns machined (within reason)

Measure the deck heights with one of the stock pistons and rods. Then do the calculations from there and look at your options.

Probably no more than .015 to get them squared. On average I've found blocks to be .004-.008, only a couple were in the .012-.014 range.

-
Back