Decode this engine code?

-

53ryder

Reaction score
So my recently acquired 1964 Valiant looks to have a 1965 or later slant six in it. Being told that 1964's did not have automatic transmissions with a column mounted shifter. Mine has one. Read somewheres that column mounted shifters came in 1965 and later.

So could someone decode the code on my engine block? It is:

PT225R 1 17

Thanks!

Glenn

PT = Mound road assy plant
225 = cid
R = regular fuel
1 17 = assembled on Jan -17 need the block casting date or pan rail VIN to give you year.

So where would either the block casting date or pan rail VIN be located?

Glenn

VIN is on right side of block on the oil pan rail. casting date is on side of block exactly where on a 225 I couldn't tell you. I believe left side.

More important than the column shift is whether your transmission has a lever shift. 1965 and earlier transmissions were quite different, with a cable-shift, another cable for park, and a fixed yoke w/ Detroit ball & trunnion front "U-joint" on the drive-shaft rather than the 1966+ sliding yoke. One nice feature they have is a rear pump, which allows the car to be push-started. They also came in 2 sizes - 904 & 727. The 727 might have had a slant version too since later ones did. My guess is you have a ~74 engine and matching transmission.

From 68 on they were pretty consistent on using the 10k calendar code on the engine assy. 67 and prior many are stamped as is his. factory, eng, month, day. I'd venture to say 65-7 but this is pure conjecture.

If you find no oil pan rail VIN it is likely prior to 68 (that's when that started.) Look real close at where you got the last numbers between the r and the 1 maybe a light stamping. You're looking for a letter A, B, C? Also is the R a B?

A - 1965
B - 1966
C - 1967
D - 1968
etc...

The 'R' is definitely a 'R'. Can't see any stamping between the 'R' and the number '1'. So where should I look for a the oil pan rail VIN? Look from top of car or underneath?

Off to work!

Glenn

Was under the engine today looking for any sort of number which may shed some light as to what year this engine and tranny is. Remember I have a '64 Valiant with a column mounted shifter. Automatic tranny's in 1964 were supposedly push-button. So I have a bit of a mystery!

Found on the engine block, passenger side, towards the back of the engine, just below the head gasket a smooth flat area with some numbers/letters stamped on it.
It looks like:

E1 7245 or EL 7245

Now there is a very, very faint something lightly stamped just before the 'E'. It looks like the upper half of an '8'. But just the upper half, like a smaller zero. After the '1' or 'L' there appears to be a very, very lightly stamped possibly a '5' or the lower half of an '8'. It's very hard to tell.

Does any of this help?

Glenn

not sure what those numbers mean.. If nothing on the pan rail, I assume it is 67 or earlier engine. And without the ABC's I would also assume it is prior to 65. So this could in fact be the original 64 engine in the car.

-
Back