decoding 1968 and earlier fender tags

-

RzeroB

Reaction score
I can almost decode 1969 and up fender tags from memory, but I really struggle with the 1968 and earlier ones - even with the use of an online decoder. I'm trying to become "fluent" in '68 and earlier tag decoding but it's just not coming together for me ... yet. So I need some help, someone to teach me the rhyme to the code.

This friday, Feb 7th, I'm going to look at a '68 Barracuda Formula S 340 fastback. I'm not really sure what I should be looking for on the fender tag to verify if it is actually a factory Formula S car or not. It has a "P" in the VIN so I know it's an original 340 car, but what else should I be looking for on the fender tag?

Here is the '68 and earlier fender tag example from the MyMopar website. Yeah, I know it's for a Coronet, but what codes should I expect to see, and in which row/columns should they be for a '68 Formula S 340 fastback?

68fendertag.jpg

without going into detail what you want to look for to verify correctness.
41 = engine size
5 = transmission
53 = tire
818 = scheduled production date in month and day. 1-9 is Jan thru Spt, oct is A, nov is B and dec is C. so c18 would be Dec 18th
193128 is the SO number = this number should match the core support numbers on the left side and left q-panel under the seal lip. both can be felt or seen from under so you don't have to peel or scrape paint to verify a match and not a re-body.
It will normally start with the year, factory number Hamtramck would be 2, SPD then the last of the SO number. So 82818193128 in the above case IF it was a 68 built at Hammy plant.

68 fastback b-cuda will start BH29
340 will have a 52 for engine code
automatic trans is - 5 for code 395
4-speed - 3 for code 393
If it is a formula-s it will have a 7 under the Cap F as in F7 for build card line 36 with 7 checked read as code 36(7)
T-7 = Tachometer - T-4 is vacuum gauge.

I can almost decode 1969 and up fender tags from memory, but I really struggle with the 1968 and earlier ones - even with the use of an online decoder. I'm trying to become "fluent" in '68 and earlier tag decoding but it's just not coming together for me ... yet. So I need some help, someone to teach me the rhyme to the code.

This friday, Feb 7th, I'm going to look at a '68 Barracuda Formula S 340 fastback. I'm not really sure what I should be looking for on the fender tag to verify if it is actually a factory Formula S car or not. It has a "P" in the VIN so I know it's an original 340 car, but what else should I be looking for on the fender tag?

Here is the '68 and earlier fender tag example from the MyMopar website. Yeah, I know it's for a Coronet, but what codes should I expect to see, and in which row/columns should they be for a '68 Formula S 340 fastback?

68fendertag.jpg

First thing, look at the last six numbers bottom right. That number has to be on the body in order to attach the plate to the car. The three to the left as you know is the projected build date. Far left will Identify the car style, then eng and trans code. I forget what 53 is on this tag. Hope that helps.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=85

Decode your tag like the website says.

For instance in the tag you pictured, hit your spacebar 7 time then enter 7 because it's the number under the "h"

Yes that's true if I had the tag data and access to a computer. However, what I'm trying to do is become "fluent" in '68 and earlier tag decoding so that I can decode "on the fly". If I'm at a show, or looking to buy, I want to be able to look at the tag and decode mentally like I can with the '69 and up tags. I'm getting the bottom rows down, but its the top two "little letter / capital letter" rows and the codes that show up in them that throws me off - I just can't get the rhyme of them.

68 fastback b-cuda will start BH29
340 will have a 52 for engine code
automatic trans is - 5 for code 395
4-speed - 3 for code 393
If it is a formula-s it will have a 7 under the Cap F as in F7 for build card line 36 with 7 checked read as code 36(7)
T-7 = Tachometer - T-4 is vacuum gauge.

Thanks! This is what I'm in need of.

So it's F7 (367) for the '68 Formula S pkg. From what I understand, the Formula S pkg was primarily a handling pkg that consisted of: stiffer torsion bars; stiffer rear springs; 1" shocks; front sway bar; redline tires; fender emblems and hood inserts. Did I miss anything that was included in the pkg? How would the special torsion bars and leaf springs be identified from non Formula S ones? Was a factory rear sway bar ever available for the A-body Barracudas like it was the the E-body ones?

The whole '68 and earlier code is screwy to me. Must of been to Ma Mopar too and that's why they changed it in '69.

Thanks again for the schooling!

Yes, for the formula-s the fender tag will show F-7. No rear sway bar was available, 5.5x14" rims were also part of the package but the rest about sums it up. They are generally a "high" trim code car so there is probably nothing on the 1-8 codes on the fender tag.

M = manufacture plant, 2 = Hamtramck
R = radio codes 1 = am
X is window tint/ clear 1= windshield only, 2 = all windows tinted.
D-9 = disc brakes
G-0 Decor package

with the other codes given it should give you the real info you need.

-
Back