Decoding my 340

-

F/A Tech

Reaction score
When I purchased my car I was told it was numbers matching and didn't check ..... stupid me. anyway it is a 1970 Swinger. Can some decode the motor for me This is the stamp on the drivers side front of motor FW 340 P 30490477

Thanks for your help.

Block.jpg

On the passenger side near the oil filter there is another pad with stamped characters
These should match the last 8 characters of the vin located on the dash

The number stamped on the driver's side is the engine number. The third post on this thread gives a good explanation 340 engine identification - Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!. Your VIN number is stamped on the passenger side and starts with 0 (1970) and R (Windsor). The last six digits is the sequence number. Here's a picture of the VIN number on my 340 in my 1970 Swinger.

IMG_0688.JPG

Thank you So where is that number located it is a great close up. Where on the passenger side is it located. Thanks

Does it really matter whether a 1970 Swinger 340 is “numbers matching”? I can’t imagine it would make that much difference in the value.

F = 1970
W = Windsor engine plant
P = premium fuel
3049 = Dec 2 1969 build date
0477 = 477th unit produced that day

Does it really matter whether a 1970 Swinger 340 is “numbers matching”? I can’t imagine it would make that much difference in the value.
If the buyer paid a ‘premium’ for a numbers matching car and it turns out it wasn’t (after the purchase went though) well, then whenever the current owner sells to down the road, he wont be able to ask a premium for it being numbers matching. It’s a moot point now for the existing owner though.

Thanks guys for all the input ... still trying to figure out where the serial number is located on the passenger side as in the picture OR******** Thanks

VIN is just above the pan rail on pass side of engine. There is a block drain plug right above it, between the front two freeze plugs . Located roughly mid way front to back on engine. Hard to miss.

Funny. “Numbers matching.”
It’s been proven that many cars came with the wrong engine numbers and transmission numbers. Heck even the paperwork in the bottom of the back seat were installed wrong.

Sorry OP that you were told different from what you got.
Syleng1

The OP was told at the time of purchase that the 1970 Dart Swinger he bought had a number's matching engine.
So far all we are sure of is that the OP bought a 1970 Dart Swinger with a 1970 model year 340 motor.
Is it a LL23 1970 Dart Swinger with a 1970 340 engine?
Is it a LL41 1970 Dart Swinger with a 1970 340 engine?
Is it a LM23 1970 Dart Swinger with a 1970 340 engine from another 1970 Dart Swinger/Barracuda/Challenger/etc.?
OR does the OP have a LM23 1970 Dart Swinger 340 model with the correct 1970 340 engine with matching VIN number.
I'm not trying to make this post a Numbers matching post but until the OP confirms that the Dash VIN is LM23HORxxxxxx and the number on the engine pad matches ORxxxxxx we don't really know if it's a 1970 Dart Swinger 340 car with a Numbers matching engine. (Trans also)
IMHO Any numbers matching vehicle should command a premium price over a non-numbers matching vehicle.
More important question is: Did the seller misrepresent the vehicle and charged the OP a premium $$$?
@F/A Tech
To the OP do NOT post the entire VIN anywhere on the internet.
Just let us know if it is a LM23 Swinger and if the engine number matches
Thanks

Hi Everyone, Thanks for all the help GREAT news for me I found the number on block and transmission and they both match the VIN.

Maybe because it's his car and he wants to know.

-
Back