Deep frying

-

oldkimmer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I’m just wondering what most ppl are using for oil. Canola, peanut, sunflower or vegetable oil? Or something else? Will be cooking chicken, shrimp, fries etc. Do u dredge the chicken and shrimp? Do u guys/gals deep fry burgers and hot dogs/sausage. Any and all tips appreciated. Thanks. Kim

For plain old deep frying, quality veg oil is fine. The trick to deep frying is the batter/coating.For sautéing and pan frying,other oils (Olive) maybe better.

Kitty RARELY deep fries anything now. We use an air fryer, which works quite well. If she does deep fry, she uses extra virgin olive oil.

I said virgin.

Thanks guys. Right now with being laid up I watch a lot of cooking shows. You Gotta Eat Here, Big food bucket List, Carnival eats, Guy Fieri, Beat Bobby Flay etc. That food looks so dam good. Kim

Air fryer. Wife uses almost daily. Chicken wings and fries, my favorite. Pre-seasoned pork tenderloin, cooks fast.

I grew up in a household in East Texas where if it wasn't battered and fried, it probably was not on the table. Maybe that's exaggerated just a bit, but the point is I know fried foods. The oil you choose depends a lot on what you're cooking. For instance, chicken will require a longer frying time than fish. Run- of- the-mill vegetable oil will be fine, because you can keep your temperature low enough to allow the chicken to cook through without burning the batter. When heating the oil, drip a small drop of water in the pot. If it sizzles and crackles, it's ready. Drop the meat in to start the frying and crank the heat down just a tad...not too much oil you'll have soggy chicken. Chicken should be battered by dredging in milk and then coating liberally with flour. Use whatever seasonings you prefer.

For fish (catfish, bass, crappie, other flakey fish) I season with salt, red pepper and onion powder, soak in a beat egg bath for 15 - 30 minutes, then drop into a pan of corn meal just before dropping into the hot oil. I use peanut oil for this because it will allow a much higher cooking temperature without smoking and burning. Since fish will cook through very quickly, you have to watch closely and dip the filets out as soon as they are golden brown. If you're deep frying, you probably don't need to turn the filets.

For chicken fried steak, the key is in the batter. Dip in an egg/milk dredge, drop into a pan of flour to coat well, then back through the dredge and flour again. Then fry it in vegetable oil just like with chicken, except the oil doesnt need to be as deep. Turn when golden brown.

If I'm sauteing veggies, I almost always use avocado oil. It also allow for a higher cooking temperature than olive oil without smoking. I prefer the taste to olive oil also, but that's just me.

it depends, i don't like OO for frying because it has a low smoke point and can scorch out and give a bitter taste. it's also more expensive. for general frying i prefer canola or veg

dredge/eggwash is really a personal preference and subject to style. depending on what i'm cooking i might do flour/egg/flour or flour/egg/seasoned bread crumbs and then deep fry or shallow fry at a lower temp with butter added.

no matter how you roll, oil temp is critical. if the oil is too cold you'll just get a gloppy mess and the breading will fall off, or it'll just be super saturated and not crisp up and taste more like oil than anything else.

i love my air fryer, but it don't do chicken fried steak like the cast iron does.

ETA: you could also go full villain (and pay for your cardiologists 2nd house) and just fry in lard.

Bobtile over at FBBO made a video of himself frying chicken in WD-40 a few years ago. :lol:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

With 20+ years working in sports and entertainment (think stadiums, arenas and racetracks) and culinary school in my past with a current food side hussle that serves a fried item. By far the best oil for deep frying is Rice Bran oil, has a high smoke point, does not have an after taste and as long as it is filtered, it will last for quite some time.

With 20+ years working in sports and entertainment (think stadiums, arenas and racetracks) and culinary school in my past with a current food side hussle that serves a fried item. By far the best oil for deep frying is Rice Bran oil, has a high smoke point, does not have an after taste and as long as it is filtered, it will last for quite some time.
...but with WD-40 your pans will never rust. :lol:

Speaking of deep frying, I have a couple tenderloins I need to use up. Perfect for lunch!
1000010054.jpg

Last edited:
Before or after usage in corn-holing? Is that a thing still....asking for a friend. :lol:
Cornhole? THere are Cornhole Leagues and tournaments. THey might have them here I don't know. (I'm trying to change the subject) LMFAO

Before or after usage in corn-holing? Is that a thing still....asking for a friend. :lol:
We feed it to our animals, put it in our gas tanks, cook with it, and eat it for breakfast. Oh ya, we drink it in a cocktail as well. :lol:

-
Back