deep trans pan for 904

-

GotDart

Reaction score
Getting ready to install a shift kit and an auxilliary trans cooler. I'm thinking it would be a good time to upgrade the trans oil pan too. Any recommendations? Should I go with cast aluminum or stamped steel? What brand, model number?

hey" save you some cash get one from a dakota 91-92 there a deep pan just make you a 1 inch spacer for you filter use the gasket for a template. i made one from bilit alum. lon b.

In line with this topic I have a question. Why do you need the 1" spacer for the filter and would do you need to change dipsticks? I would think that if the pan is just deeper, then it should not affect where the dipstick should read full as that level should remain the same and if this is the case your filter would still draw fluid as it would still be submerged under same level of fluid. Am I missing anything here?

When replacing the tranny pan to a deeper pan or larger capacity pan for extra oil and cooling ,you need to add the filter spacer to keep the pick up suction area close to the floor of the pan witha clearance of about 1/4"-3/8.If you keep the filter in the same location,and add the deper pan and oil,lets say you have a extra 2-3 litres of oil in the bigger pan,the filter and suction area will be sucking air a not oil due to the fact that you do not have the filter/suction hole in oil.The stick reads full,but you are not going anywhere fast.If you buy a deeper engine oil pan,do you not buy the correct pickup tube for it as well,or do you use the old pickup and have it suck air as well.Keep the same dip stick,as it will still read the oil level you need to operate the tranny,the extra oil will help cool and with a big tranny cooler will help make the tranny live longer.The kits range in dollars from 50$-a few hundred $,so go with what you need.I have a mopar pan and filter extension with a big *** cooler for my dart and it keeps the oil at 160-170 with a 3500stall convertor on the street,and no problems,Mrmopartech

-
Back