Defroster Vent Removal

-

bargeahead

Wishicouldre member
Reaction score
Is there a trick or certain method for taking out the defroster vents so I can paint them ? Upside down and back throw out, then gentle with flat screwdriver produced no results that would not have damaged the vents. I know there has to be something I'm missing or just plain don't know.

THX

jsw_img_1994.jpg

There is nuts from the under side. Need to attack it from under the dash. Can you bend like a pretzel?

Thank You Gents ! Trying to find them was PAINFULL ! I'll call someone younger without arthritis. THX again.

If you can get up there with a little WD-40 and spray a little on the thread, it'll not only make the nut come off easier, but it will also minimize the excess torque put on the stem of the thread and will help prevent them breaking off. Use the little tube that comes on the can and give the nut a little jet. The nut is 7/16" and a nut driver will fit on two of the nuts without problem, but is hard to get on the other two. I sometimes use a pair of long handled needle nose to loosen up the hard to reach ones...Opps, thats ALL of them!!! Good luck, Geof

If you can get up there with a little WD-40 and spray a little on the thread, it'll not only make the nut come off easier, but it will also minimize the excess torque put on the stem of the thread and will help prevent them breaking off. Use the little tube that comes on the can and give the nut a little jet. The nut is 7/16" and a nut driver will fit on two of the nuts without problem, but is hard to get on the other two. I sometimes use a pair of long handled needle nose to loosen up the hard to reach ones...Opps, thats ALL of them!!! Good luck, Geof

Hey THX, I'm a big fan of WD-40; just need a younger, more nimble body to get there. Trying to come up with a way to get the petite wife involved. I'd absolutely love to have it be a joint effort. No pun intended; want to keep our old joints as unstressed as possible.

Ya know, this sux, 40 yrs ago it was no problem contorting into .....whatever !

Mine were so sun baked they fell apart when I tried to take them out.......

-
Back