Degree a camshaft with a steering wheel?

-

FJ5

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of using a steering wheel to degree a camshaft? It seems to me I remember watching an episode of horsepower where they showed how to do this. ????

Couldn't you just print one out from your computer? It would be a little small with a standard 8 1/2 by 11 printer but maybe it would get the job done. Id think it would work better than a steering wheel at least.

Really!! As I tell my kids all the time...there is NO reality on TV, NONE!!! Degreeing a camshaft with anything other than a degree wheel is not even an option. Doing it with a steering wheel just shows the stupidity of the show/person who put it on the air in the first place!!

Do yourself a favor, do it right, and quit believing the crap they put on those car shows on TV!! JMO of course, but I think its a good one!! Geof

Really!! As I tell my kids all the time...there is NO reality on TV, NONE!!! Degreeing a camshaft with anything other than a degree wheel is not even an option. Doing it with a steering wheel just shows the stupidity of the show/person who put it on the air in the first place!!

Do yourself a favor, do it right, and quit believing the crap they put on those car shows on TV!! JMO of course, but I think its a good one!! Geof

Especially Horsepower TV! I remember one episode they were installing an aftermarket fuel cell in one of their project cars, they installed it with the sump facing forward.

Okay, okay, okay. I was just trying to save a few bucks. But I now believe this may not be the tool to skimp on. Thanks for all the input. I still love my powerblocktv. Lol

really!! As i tell my kids all the time...there is no reality on tv, none!!! Degreeing a camshaft with anything other than a degree wheel is not even an option. Doing it with a steering wheel just shows the stupidity of the show/person who put it on the air in the first place!!

Do yourself a favor, do it right, and quit believing the crap they put on those car shows on tv!! Jmo of course, but i think its a good one!! Geof
x2

I think what you likely saw was the large dree wheel they use that has finger indentations like a steering weel so you can turn the crank by hand without a ratchet. But as others mentioned, best to use the right tool for the job.

If you have to ask if it can be done. Then you better not attempt to do it. Leave this procedure to someone who knows how and has the proper tools. You will also need a piston stop and a dial indicator. And the degree wheel. An assortment of offset keys and a timing set with a lower sprocket with multiple key slots should be on hand also. Its fine to want to learn but have some one guide you through it the first time. Just some friendly advise. Steve

-
Back