Delayed Welcome Wagon Introduction

-

66moparrerun

Reaction score
Hello, Fellow Mopar Fans: I actually joined FABO in January but until now I have limited by posts to classified ads and responses to acquire some missing parts to complete my 1966 Barracuda. I had a 1966 Barracuda Formula S until late 1968 when I had to trade it to go away to college and I have always wanted another one. Hence the name "66Moparreun". My original 1966 Formula was silver with a blue interior. and a 4 speed. My older brother had a red 1965 Formula S with a red interior( stripes deleted) and a 4 speed. My 1966 Formula was originally a joint purchase with my twin brother, FABO’s"Senior Chief" but he subsequently bought a Volvo before joining the USN.

My current 1966 Barracuda was purchased out of Florida last November after negotiations following an eBay auction that failed to meet the sellers reserve price. I am now the 2nd owner post the 2008 build as a resto-modified vehicle designed to have the look and responsiveness of a mid-sixties SCCA race car. This car was reportedly built in 2008 to participate in the 2009 Hot Rod Mag Power Tour. It is was a very sound bodied V-8. automatic car with 120,000 miles on it from Florida CIty, Florida. I now has just over 7,000 miles on it since it was rebuilt.

Rebuild details:

The vehicle was stripped to bare metal. Reportedly the only rust was a very small patch on the right rear lower quarter panel. Every thing in the power train was fresh or rebuilt at the time of the rebuild. It consists of a 1969 318 cid small block selected primarily for reliability. The engine was professinally built by ECAM Racing Engines in
Glenside , PA. It was bored .030 over, forged pistons/moly rings with 9.5 :1 compression., all ARP bolts double timing chain, new high flow water pump and new mechanical fuel pump. The manifolds are stock 273 HP cast iron units. The engine also has a Comp Cams cam shaft and a Edelbrock Performer intake manifold with a 650 cfm 4 barrel carb and a Mopar Performance orange box electronic ignition. The engine also sports a set of 360 heads that, magnifluxed and treated to a 3-angle valve job. The heads were also completely rebuilt with bronze valve guides, new stainless steel valves, etc. The transmission is a 727 Mopar unit rebuilt with a stout but street friendly shift kit. Power is further transmitted via new balanced drive shaft and a Mopar 8 3/4 " rear end with a 3:55 Sure Grip. The exhaust system is a dual 2" stainless system built with Borla components. the cooling system consists of a new clutchless stock high performance fan and a new OEM 3 core replacement radiator with a 2750 cfm electric auxillary fan. The alternator was replaced with a GM one wire unit and the oil filter was relocated to facilitate maintenance.

Interior: The original black interior is in very good to excellent overall condition but all of the carpets were replaced. All OEM tinted glass. The car was left as is with a column mounted transmission shift lever. The car is also fitted with a Classic Auto heater/AC kit. the unit was installed with all new controls but the compressor was never mounted in the engine bay but all plumbing and wiring is installed through the firewall and ready for me to complete.

Suspension and Steering: A new
FlamingRiver quick ratio manual steering box was installed. The braking system consists of SSBC front disk brakes, and stock rear drums with a new power brake booster and master cylinder. All brake lines and fuel line are also new replacements. The suspension is a PST polyurethane setup with the largest available anti-sway bars on both the front and rear of the vehicle. The suspension also includes new replacement leaf springs new H-D torsion bars. New KBY shocks were also utilized all around. Strangely, frame connectors were not installed. I may add frame connectors in the near future. Any suggestions on a vendor or manufacturer??? The wheels are 15" American Racing Torque Thrust-Ds with the satin spokes painted to match the new exterior body color. The tires are 205/60R in front and 225/60R on the rear wheels.

Exterior: The original builder added 2 period correct hood scoops and made them functional by cutting holes into the hood. The car is painted in a 2005 dark metallic charcoal BMW color. The paint job is very well done and the grill, bumpers and other odd pieces were all well rechromed.

Future additions/Upgrades
:

The car was built without a turn indicator lever and an accelerator pedal. Also, it had a smaller diameter "Tuff" steering wheel installed. My wife has found it to be very difficult to steer this vehicle as have I at low speeds. Consequently, I have recently, acquired a Mopar 1966 OEM sport steering wheel via eBay to be restored that i am going to install to determine if that solves the steering "problem" . Any suggestions on a steering wheel restorer??? My wife and I have been "keeping company" since early 1963 and she fondly remembers how my Formula S drove even though it was also a manual steering car. I have also recently acquired a complete original 1966 Barracuda steering column with wheel in black and a complete 1966 Barracuda power system at a very reasonable cost from a fellow FABO member. Thanks, Cosgis! I only plan to install the power steering system if the larger OEM wheel doesn't ease steering. I also acquired a 1966 A body accelerator pedal from 61Darttrk. Thanks. I certainly appreciate their response to my need for parts. I also had to purchase a reproduction outside mirror because my driver's license restrictions also requires a righthand outside mirror. Steve
View attachment cuda%2066[1].jpg

View attachment cuda[2].jpg

clip_image002.jpg

Nice car! Cosgig is an awesome guy and has helped me out alot of times.:cheers: WElcome to FABO!

man! another nice 66 barracuda, I think us early cuda owners are going to take over the place soon!
p.s. I really like the torque thrust's

Yea, thats a good looking car!! I like the torque thrust wheels on it too. It sure does have a lot of time and effort put into it, thats for sure. You should be very proud of it!!! Welcome again to FABO, it's a great place to be!!! Geof

Good to have you on board with us, cosgig is a great member here I call my friend.
That is a great looking Barracuda =P~
I think 66 model plymouths are the best :grin:

Attachments

• SOUND%20CHECK%20FUEL%201%20077.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 84
  • Ralley's%20004.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 82
Yea, thats a good looking car!! I like the torque thrust wheels on it too. It sure does have a lot of time and effort put into it, thats for sure. You should be very proud of it!!! Welcome again to FABO, it's a great place to be!!! Geof

Geof, Thanks, for your comments, sorry for the tupo on Cosgis. It has been a very long time since I have done any type of mechanical work because I spent many long hours over 39 years working in public health administration but now its time to get my hands greasy again. Steve Laker

-
Back