Deluxe Interior Emblem Rechroming?

-

69'Barracuda

Reaction score
Hey all, have a set of the deluxe interior seat badges for a 69 barracuda I’d like to have stripped, pits fixed, and rechromed (since no one repops them), can anyone reccomend a shop that does that for pot metal emblems/ badges? Thanks.

42473431-B326-46FB-A21B-EE92A7FC3A16.jpeg

EA1FBF39-174F-4EA8-B2AF-66FD611B68CF.jpeg

If nobody reproduces, no used available, or other sources...that's an expensive proposition. These guys do all my chrome. I'm picky.

BL Plating

If nobody reproduces, no used available, or other sources...that's an expensive proposition. These guys do all my chrome. I'm picky.

BL Plating
No one reproduces them that I’ve been able to find, and finding a set in any condition is hard. I have another set in what Id call good shape, bright chrome, with only pin sized pits and gouges, but if it’s not going to cost an arm and a leg, I have time, I’d like to have this set redone to go in the car. Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll give them a call tomorrow!

Chrome plating pewter is a labor intensive, time consuming and expensive process. The piece has to be "gently" stripped, all of the corrosion in pits has to be gently picked out before any type of plating can begin. The begin by copper plating the piece multiple times and buffing it down to fill the pits. The copper is very thin on each application, so it may take 20 times mor more before the piece is viable to plate with nickel before being chrome plated. If the least amount of corrosion is left, it will pop the copper, nickel and chrome in a very short period of time. Been there and done that, was extremely disappointed and spent way too much money.

Chrome plating pewter is a labor intensive, time consuming and expensive process. The piece has to be "gently" stripped, all of the corrosion in pits has to be gently picked out before any type of plating can begin. The begin by copper plating the piece multiple times and buffing it down to fill the pits. The copper is very thin on each application, so it may take 20 times mor more before the piece is viable to plate with nickel before being chrome plated. If the least amount of corrosion is left, it will pop the copper, nickel and chrome in a very short period of time. Been there and done that, was extremely disappointed and spent way too much money.
If you don’t mind my asking, how much was it, and what did you have done?

If you want, send me one that is in good shape dimensionally and I can reverse engineer it and have it printed in metal that you can have polished or chromed.

I had the 67 dart backup light housing I'm working on printed and it was about 120.00 each but they are large compared to that piece. The shinny on the bottom part is where I attempted polishing without the propper equipment.

PXL_20230303_190440478.jpg

original_a5d45f13-0551-4eda-8d4a-ab042f9e617f_PXL_20230303_190139600.jpg

@j_anderson had a 318 badge I made for him printed and had them polished. He can chime in on the total cost.

I figure your part would be about the same or less.

PXL_20230310_204312309.jpg

Last edited:
Can you work the pits out with a dremel and use "bare metal foil"?

There was a video I found about spray metal. They primarily are a trim repair company.

Il see if I can find it again

If you want, send me one that is in good shape dimensionally and I can reverse engineer it and have it printed in metal that you can have polished or chromed.

I had the 67 dart backup light housing I'm working on printed and it was about 120.00 each but they are large compared to that piece. The shinny on the bottom part is where I attempted polishing without the propper equipment.

View attachment 1716062779

View attachment 1716062780

@j_anderson had a 318 badge I made for him printed and had them polished. He can chime in on the total cost.

I figure your part would be about the same or less.

View attachment 1716062778
Those turned out great! I got one recommendation for a re-chroming place, ill call tomorrow and see a ballpark price range, if its going to be way too much, I'll take you up on that. I'd probably have them chromed to match the back seat ones I already have. What's the process you use to do something like that?

Can you work the pits out with a dremel and use "bare metal foil"?
I'd be worried about the longevity of this since its always in the sun, and has peoples backs rubbing all over them. To take them off once they're on, I'd have completely take the seat cover off, and I don't want to do that once they're finally back together lol.

I take an origional and draw it up it CAD.

Then I 3D print it in plastic to see what needs tweeking.

Tweak, print, tweak print. Till I'm happy.

Then there are 3D metal printers online and send the file to them for printing.

The metal printing is laser sintering.

There is a bed of metal particles, where ever the laser hits gets melted together, layer by layer till it is complete.

Then they can polish the part, (J_Anderson had the 318 polished by the 3D printer and it came out ok but they were a bit careless in the process and nicked some corners.)

Or you can polish it or have it polished and/or chromed.

I'm going to take my housing to a chrome shop and see what they can do.

The material is a stainless material, the 3D printer has other materials too like brass. It turns out that SS is hard to tap and on my housing I have 4 holes that needed tapping so I'm thinking brass and then chrome

Last edited:
Hey all, have a set of the deluxe interior seat badges for a 69 barracuda I’d like to have stripped, pits fixed, and rechromed (since no one repops them), can anyone reccomend a shop that does that for pot metal emblems/ badges? Thanks.

View attachment 1716062675

View attachment 1716062677
Try Paul's Chrome Plating. They are one of the BEST! They are not cheap, but they do specialize in difficult pieces like yours. Last time I checked, they can give you an estimate based on photos, but the need to see the parts for an exact quote. Advanced Plating in Tennessee is similar. They have a great reputation, excellent work and high prices. Those pieces are not available, so you have to ask yourself how badly you want them to be done properly. few plating shops can handle pitted pot metal with good results.

View attachment 1716062675

View attachment 1716062677
have someone design it up and then have shapeways make it for you, probably cost less doing that than striping it,fixing all the pits with muggy weld or a similar product and then having it rechromed. my tail light bezels would cost about 650 each (4) at minimum to get fixed that way due to so many pits after striping. I'm getting a 3d scan of them so shapeways can print them out (again expensive since it's a complicated shape.

I’m no an expert in chroming but I’m guessing that it might cost about $100 each to chrome them.
rechroming isn't the issue. it's the pit marks that'll cost I was quoted 6.50 per pit just to get my stuff done. I see at least 20 pits to fix on that one piece alone. so 120.00 right off the bat before re-plating and chroming stripping it will probably show other pits that need to be fixed also.

I still say Dremel and JB Weld then have them wrapped or use adhesive backed Bare Metal foil.

As a bonus, they may also no longer be hot to touch after sitting in the sun for a while.

318-48363, Seat Upholstry Chrome....1969 Barracuda...backrest seat cushion the vertical 2" chrome strip...Sold EACH.....$20.00

In stock and ready to ship

318-48363.jpg

-
Back