Demand and Supply

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan the man

Reaction score
I didn't want to high Jack the guy's thread about cylinder heads. I have a question about the demand and supply issue. How many pistons are available for the 318's? I'm not talking about forged pistons. Pistons to raise the compression ratio

I haven't looked for a little while, but there are the speed pro hypers at 1.755" compression height & the kb167s at 1.81".
Plenty of options if your just looking for stock replacement pistons, but not much with a taller compression height.

I haven't looked for a little while, but there are the speed pro hypers at 1.755" compression height & the kb167s at 1.81".
Plenty of options if your just looking for stock replacement pistons, but not much with a taller compression height.
The kb167's are the only ones available that have a taller compression height. Ford on the other hand has 4 pistons for the 289 and 302. Mopars don't have much available for them in the performance industry.

Did you read my post Dan?
Get a speed pro H814CP and measure it against your stock 318 piston and report back. Oh wait I forgot - you cant because you don't even have a car, your putting the cart before the horse....again :rolleyes:
They aren't going to get you to 0 deck but they are taller than the stock slugs.
If your convinced the kbs are your only option then go buy a set for the car you may or may not eventually buy. Good luck

Ford on the other hand has 4 pistons for the 289 and 302. Mopars don't have much available for them in the performance industry.
that sounds like enough of a reason you were looking for to go buy a ford then.

The kb167's are the only ones available that have a taller compression height. Ford on the other hand has 4 pistons for the 289 and 302. Mopars don't have much available for them in the performance industry.
KB167's aparently work well so there is no need for a dozen like them. How hard have you looked?

Here, you look.

Buy a FORD you know you want to. I still think you are from a Mustang site.
Or just buy a 340-360 car.

Buy a FORD you know you want to. I still think you are from a Mustang site.
Or just buy a 340-360 car.
he can't afford a 340 car and none of the 360 cars meet his "criteria", what ever that is this week.

actually, let me rephrase: he can afford a 340 car that's a project

Did you read my post Dan?
Get a speed pro H814CP and measure it against your stock 318 piston and report back. Oh wait I forgot - you cant because you don't even have a car, your putting the cart before the horse....again :rolleyes:
They aren't going to get you to 0 deck but they are taller than the stock slugs.
If your convinced the kbs are your only option then go buy a set for the car you may or may not eventually buy. Good luck
Those pistons don't have valve reliefs, kinda useless for a performance engine.

My son has a Performance Engine Machine shop. He gets pistons for anything he is working on from his suppliers. No matter what engine you are working on you will need to have all the measurements to order the pistons.

Not just send me 318 pistons. You will also need to have the block prepped for those pistons. Each piston is fitted to the bore it is going in. There are times that sets of pistons have a different diameters between the 8 pistons for final fitment honing the cylinders. End gaps for the rings are also different per cylinder

Most new pistons have enough material to correct the valve relief for larger valves or cams. You can also correct compression with gasket thickness or cutting the deck.

My suggestion to you is to let the shop that is doing your block work order the pistons. Tell them the compression ratio you want and if they know what they are doing it shouldn't be an issue. They will need a head to do this.

All I'm saying is that the other 2 have more performance parts available than the mopars

the other 2 sold more cars than mopar :)
And Mopar engines were already performance, they just strangled them for granny use with a 2bbl

for example you won't find a mopar head, from the muscle car era, where the inlet and exhaust valves are not centred to open into the widest part of the bore, centre of valve head is always on the diameter line of the cylinder bore. this reduces the impact of shrouding by the cylinder wall on the flow past the valve

you will find the oposition offset their valves to the top or bottom of the cylinder to either accomodate pushrods, bolts or rocker gear, and valves do not open into the widest part of the bore, increasing the shrouding caused by the cylinder wall

so to counter that handicap you'd need some performance equipment from the aftermarket.
Performance cams, higher ratio rockers and heavier springs or a different better cylinder head

silly opposition

Dave

Last edited:
I was going to say Dan wants a Mopar for Chevy price, but he wants a classic car for 20 year old 4 door Toyota prices.
I may sleep in a Waterbed and own a Lava Lamp but It's not 1978.
Sorry

I was going to say Dan wants a Mopar for Chevy price, but he wants a classic car for 20 year old 4 door Toyota prices.
Sorry
hey now, my 20yr old toyota truck is worth damn near mopar prices!

you hit the nail on the head though. this hobby is pay to play; if you ain't willing to drop the coin then enjoy the second rate chevy and ford options.

I have a fox body 5.0..is that blasphemy...? :lol:
owning a 5.0 foxbody is like your sex life. it's cool and all that you have one, we just don't need need to hear about it. ever.

and certainly don't post any photos of either.

Sorry
I think that 25k will get a nice A body. I recently seen a/6 duster for 25k, is it worth it NO. There's a few cars that are still for sale on here and have been for months and why, that's simple, the owners are asking to much for their cars a car are duster's and I think that there's a dart or 2.

I think that 25k will get a nice A body. I recently seen a/6 duster for 25k, is it worth it NO. There's a few cars that are still for sale on here and have been for months and why, that's simple, the owners are asking to much for their cars a car are duster's and I think that there's a dart or 2.
Not wanting to turn it to politics so not my intention.
They are not asking to much. Look at what any good used reliable good looking car cost.
There is inflation and all new and used cars are up there.
There is also the fact that in addition to prices of EVERYthing being a high cost. And a shortage of funds for many plays into it twice
1) Many can't afford to buy anything. So they just keep what they have and dream.
2) Those that can are scared to spend, they unsure of how things may end up. (Ie) no one wants to spend their cushion, by busting the piggy bank open.

You look to fall into number 2. You want to spend but are scared to
Or your a Chevy or FORD guy screwing with the members.

Last edited:
he doesn't want to spend for the following reasons: he's cheap, he thinks everything is 1980's pricing and he doesn't have the money (and no, getting a loan from a bank after a 3rd party appraisal of a vehicle does not count as "having the money").

re: being a ford or chevy guy screwing with us? i chose to think that many may be mistaking malice for stupidity.

there's plenty of great A bodies in the 20~25 grand range, they just aren't Cinderella here's glass slipper.

Ok i will play.
What pins/rods? Pressed or floating? what heads open or closed chamber? What compression ratio?
Bore? Intended Cam? Forged? Cast? HP?
And more......you do know they ( the major companies) will make anything you want need right?

Not wanting to turn it to politics so not my intention.
They are not asking to much. Look at what any good used reliable good looking car cost.
There is inflation and all new and used cars are up there.
There is also the fact that in addition to prices of EVERYthing being a high cost. And a shortage of funds for many plays into it twice
1) Many can't afford to buy anything. So they just keep what they have and dream.
2) Those that can are scared to spend, they unsure of how things may end up. (Ie) no one wants to spend their cushion, by busting the piggy bank open.

I'm a careful spender. And for your information I'm not a Ford or a Chevy guy, but I do have knowledge about the sbf and the sbc. I'm not a one brand car guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back