Demand for ported 302 heads, is there any?

-
I ported my last set around 2008. Because of the magnum engines becoming cheaper and magnum heads and repalcements available cheaper the market went away. I haven't even been asked about them personally in years although they do still enjoy popularity on the web. I think it's more a question of what you can get for them vs what you put into them. Someone will always buy them - question becomes is it worth your time? You can get good numbers from them - how much time do you spend and is it worth anything to you?

I ported my last set around 2008. Because of the magnum engines becoming cheaper and magnum heads and repalcements available cheaper the market went away. I haven't even been asked about them personally in years although they do still enjoy popularity on the web. I think it's more a question of what you can get for them vs what you put into them. Someone will always buy them - question becomes is it worth your time? You can get good numbers from them - how much time do you spend and is it worth anything to you?

It's worth it to me if people want them.
I read where people ask about them ...so I thought I'd ask.

I had mild port work done to mine, I thought it was money well spent based on my goals. I would imagine we 318 guys still have interest.

I suppose the question would be, what numbers would they flow, and how much would you be wanting?
Everyone knows what a nice set of RHS from Brian cost, and some hit and miss RPMs. With the high number of guys still hell bent on rocking 318's, and the drawbacks of fitting the larger heads to teens there's bound to be a market. And price dependent, a demand too.

I put the 302s on my 318. Combined with the kb 167 (if memory serves), brought my sickly teener compression up to 9.5 with no milling. Runs well and I am happy with them.

How well can you make them flow? Enough to feed a 360? A stroker? Can they be ported to 360 port size? I think if they could be, that would certainly add to the "demand".

They can be ported to a 360 sized port volume, but unless they are going on a 7000+rpm motor and or go turbulent...why would you want to too?
Gasket matching them to work with a 360 intake is no problem.

Flow what and with what size valve?
App Demand will dictate that.

Let me help you then - cut and paste into parts for sale section:

"For Sale - "302" casting heads - crack free, configured and ported to fit your application. Price will vary with parts choices."

:D

I guessing there's got to be a few buyers if you match the performance of EQ's and beat them on price or match them on price and beat them in performance.

They can be ported to a 360 sized port volume, but unless they are going on a 7000+rpm motor and or go turbulent...why would you want to too?
Gasket matching them to work with a 360 intake is no problem.

Flow what and with what size valve?
App Demand will dictate that.

I've seen several members, including one posting in this thread argue me up against the wall that they are no good on a 360. That's why I asked you, because I knew you wouldn't give me some bullshit off the cuff answer. I knew you would know the real deal.

I'd be interested in a mild port, for the street. Magneflux them before you start. 273 with 9.0 compression, 270 duation .470 lift solid cam. Stock valve sizes, I'll grind the seats and do the guides. Do you want a pair in exchange? PM me

On second thought, I think 1.88 Intakes and 1.60 exhausts. That should make better use of your tallent. Street port for a motor to last 300K. Do want my pair of 302's. How much are we talking here.

-
Back