Demon Gas Cap custom options/builds

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am getting ready to do the exterior paint. I got rid of the side marker lights as I wanted a cleaner look on the sides. But I keep looking at the spin off gas cap protruding out the rear quarter. I am looking at gas caps for 2014-2015 dodge challengers which are a flip top and they come ion a nice black to match the side stripes if I choose to install them later. Just curious if anybody on here has retrofitted a gas cap to give a better look?

I've been looking at my 2013 Challenger flip gas cap cover and thinking if I could incorporate it to my wagon by recessing the filler tube to clear the cover. Just thinking aloud here.

I've seen guys use the 68 Cuda flip top on Vailants and Darts.Might be the 70's Challenger.I think somebody actually made a installation kit.I may have seen it on this site.

I have a small square section cut from a 67 Barracuda with the recess for the flip top cap and a cap I would sell reasonably if you want it. I think they need the recess to look correct otherwise it protrudes out too far from the body for my taste.

This is the flip top cap I put on my Duster. The adapter is from a member here. Search "Flip top gas cap adapter". I bought it second hand but unused from another member. It installs easy and looks great in my opinion.

Cley

Cley
flip top 1.jpg
Flip top 5.jpg
20160723_214354.jpg

If you want a cleaner look, I fail to see the appeal of the flip top cap....much larger, plus it sticks out. If you have the factory correct cap, it should be pretty well flush, and body color....

If I was going to do anything different at the exposed fuel cap/door ( and I would like to ), I would do a painted sheet metal door.

Another member eliminated most of the filler tube where he has to open the trunk to refuel. Might look good on the quarter panel with no gas cap, but don't think it safe having it all inside the trunk.

someone on here did modern car door handles and fuel door on a Duster that were oval shaped and it looked killer. i think he said he used chevy stuff from a junk yard car.
something like this,
Hagan Street Rods 90OVQ 90 Curve Series Fuel Door, Oval | eBay
i think he did it to remedy spilling gas on the quarter every time he filled up. I have always wanted to do something similar

I was considering on using the new challenger fuel door myself but decided it's getting too popular so what I'm planning on doing is putting a 69 Mustang gas tank in my Duster so I have a flat trunk floor and the filler neck will go out the tail panel then I'll use a door similar to something from Hagan (post #9) in the center of the tail panel.

I would have to first try my 96 Camry as donor. The interior door release and every other component has passed the test. The very last thing I would want is a fuel door hanging open or duct taped LOL.
This is another thing I'm planning on using, the cable release system (for the fuel door and trunk) from my previous dd, 02 Corolla, that finally gave out.

This is another thing I'm planning on using, the cable release system (for the fuel door and trunk) from my previous dd, 02 Corolla, that finally gave out.
Funny you should mention trunk release. My sis sent me a few pics of the trunk latch on her fairly new Ford Contour yesterday evening. "It's not working." So I know what I'll be working on Thanksgiving Day. They don't make nothing like they used to. I know they added a child safety release ( pull cable in the trunk ) but as far as she knows it hasn't been pulled.

Hi friends, I'm working on my Dart Sport and I'm installing a Bike Gas Cap.

PERFECT! Now that's an idea I am going to steal. I have been looking for a solution since I went to a cell. It is either this or blanking off the hole. This looks really cool since I ride sportbikes.

someone on here did modern car door handles and fuel door on a Duster that were oval shaped and it looked killer. i think he said he used chevy stuff from a junk yard car.
something like this,
Hagan Street Rods 90OVQ 90 Curve Series Fuel Door, Oval | eBay
i think he did it to remedy spilling gas on the quarter every time he filled up. I have always wanted to do something similar
Be careful! I used the Hagen door and a Tanks gas cap on my 37Ford. It burped all the time and the gas cap couldn't be removed through the door because it was too large. I tried to remedy that problem with chevy stuff but the door opening was too small to incorporate the cap.

Last edited:
I like the idea of the bike cap. I want to get some with a lock on it and that looks nice

75Slant6, Thanks, if I wasn't sooo lame I would/might have figured that out.:lol:
I bought a new 2013 Challenger flip door to put on the 70Dart but when I located it on both the side and behind the "B" pillar it looked too big in my eyes, so it's now sitting in new-unused parts bin (I seem to be filling up the bin). Those new flip tops don't come cheap, if I remember correctly about a buck and a quarter. I wound up adapting a 2013 filler neck to the stock filler tube and adapting the outer portion of the 70 cap to the internals of a 2013 cap. I'm running a Gen3 Hemi so I needed to get the fuel system right with respect to pressure/vacuum. The cool part is it looks stock but yet its not.

-
Back