Denso Starter Heat Soak?

-

Lee J

Reaction score
Has anyone had problems with denso starters and heat soak causing them to not to start? I'm routing my exhaust fairly close under my starter and don't know if this will cause me problems. I plan on using heat tape from my collector back because I'm running real close to my rack and pinion on the other side. 48 Plymouth with 360 Magnum transplant.Thanks, any advice will be appreciated.

I know that "they" say that the mini starters don't suffer from heat soak...but I killed a new mini starter after only 3 races last year. I got a replacement and it seems to be ok....might have been a fluke...then again, I think I have only raced 3 times since then, so IDK.

Thanks for the reply, Flyfish. I'm just going to have to try to see if this causes me any problems. It's hard sometimes to try and figure the best route to take. I have block hugger headers for space limitation and hope not to have to redo this later. Getting real close to start building the engine, I'm in the final mock up stages for engine trans mounting. Soon I will have many questions as I have never assembled an engine. I love reading all the posts for advice from experienced guys .

Definitely having problems with my denso starter. Been having issues with my 75 318 running hot lately (I don't even have headers yet). After driving it for a while, I'll shut the car off and the starter bricks. I've got to wait for it to cool before I can start it again. I just bought some heat wrap from summit; fairly cheap. Going to try and see if that helps until I can figure out my engine cooling issue...

Two things to keep in mind:

1. There is a factory heat shield package for the early Nippondenso starter; p/n 4467181. Good luck finding one! Drag the two-piece shield out of the wrecking yard. There doesn't appear to be a shield for the later (even smaller) Nippondenso starter.

2. Most of the "new" mini starters are not Nippondenso starters, but instead are Chinese copycat garbage. Big surprise, they fail early and often.

Thanks for the advice! Slantsixdan what vehicles have the heat shields on them? You got me thinking about chinese starters, but I think mine is made in USA. A Tuff stuff one from Summit? The heat wrap kit from Summit looks like it would help too.

No concrete knowledge on the origin of "Tuff Stuff" branded starters—odds are if it was sold as brand new, it is Chinese.

My '89 D100 with 318 had a heat shield on its Denso starter as original equipment. Pretty sure most/all of the 3.9, 5.2, 5.9 trucks and vans with this starter, and probably the M-bodies with this starter, had the shield.

-
Back