Desk Top Dyno

-

tvt59

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does any of my buddies on the have a desk top dyno ? I used to have the app years ago. You could plug in perimeters for and engine and it'd give you an approximate hp and torque figures. If someone does have this software I'd pay you for plugging the specs of an engine I'm going to build for my new braket car.

Last edited:
I had it too but last time I tried to use it a few years ago it wouldn't work. I think it was too old for Windows 10 to deal with, it wouldn't even open the program. Not sure if it's even available anymore. Comp Cams used to have a very basic version of it on their website but that's long gone too. Hopefully someone comes through for you.

It was a fun program to use though, I used it all the time trying different things. If you put in detailed head flow numbers and cam specs it seemed to be relatively accurate. It's all in the details.

I've been looking for a version to work with Chromebook. No luck yet.

Does any of my buddies on the have a desk top dyno ? I used to have the app years ago. You could plug in perimeters for and engine and it'd give you an approximate hp and torque figures. If someone does have this software I'd pay you for plugging the specs of an engine I'm going to build fir my new braket car.
How about posting the combo here, and getting feedback on it. To get accurate numbers from DD5, You need head valve sizes+ flow numbers at .100" increments min., or even better .050". You need detailed cam lobe profile & specs, and realized rocker ratio/actual valve lift. Type of head, squish/no squish, whether You're using a dome or closed chamber to achieve it.
Actual SCR, Carb CFM @??"Hg depression.
A member who is already running Your proposed combo is the best ballpark You're going to get. Peace

How about posting the combo here, and getting feedback on it.
A member who is already running Your proposed combo is the best ballpark You're going to get. Peace
Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with that. Desktop Dyno is based on actual mathematical formulas, not anecdotal experience. Give two different guys the exact same engine and the performance results will invariably be different. Engine building discussions here devolve into pissing contests and name calling before the second page anyway. Who needs that?

DD is not a perfect tool by any means but it is relatively accurate as long as like you said whatever is input is as detailed as possible. Pretty sure the OP knows that and has a good grasp on what his actual specs are.

How about posting the combo here, and getting feedback on it. To get accurate numbers from DD5, You need head valve sizes+ flow numbers at .100" increments min., or even better .050". You need detailed cam lobe profile & specs, and realized rocker ratio/actual valve lift. Type of head, squish/no squish, whether You're using a dome or closed chamber to achieve it.
Actual SCR, Carb CFM @??"Hg depression.
I had the older version of DD5. But it doesn't work for me now. I can get pretty close on those numbers. But the engine is not assembled at the time. I still need to purchase a few parts. I'm trying to make 740 hp with a W5 head, 3.79 stroke 4.185 bore 422", solid roller and about 14 to one

I had the older version of DD5. But it doesn't work for me now. I can get pretty close on those numbers. But the engine is not assembled at the time. I still need to purchase a few parts. I'm trying to make 740 hp with a W5 head, 3.79 stroke 4.185 bore 422", solid roller and about 14 to one
OK, I have Mine running on an old laptop & XP, I use for that type of thing & nothing else. Haven't booted it up in a bit, but I'm sure it's fine.

I can run it in Performance Trends but the accurate result will be if you have real flow data for the heads.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with that. Desktop Dyno is based on actual mathematical formulas, not anecdotal experience. Give two different guys the exact same engine and the performance results will invariably be different. Engine building discussions here devolve into pissing contests and name calling before the second page anyway. Who needs that?

DD is not a perfect tool by any means but it is relatively accurate as long as like you said whatever is input is as detailed as possible. Pretty sure the OP knows that and has a good grasp on what his actual specs are.
LOL!!! I suppose that's true, not knowing the level of the combo, if ten run that combo usually You can toss the couple of dick swingers out & still arrive at a decent ballpark.

It shouldn’t take tooooo much camshaft to do that.
Do you have the heads flow numbers?
What intake are you running?
Also, what piston are you using?

OK, I have Mine running on an old laptop & XP, I use for that type of thing & nothing else. Haven't booted it up in a bit, but I'm sure it's fine.

I am running Dyno2000 version 3.10 on Windows 10. Fired right up.

Camquest used to be able to download free. Then comp but a stop on that now you have to pay for it. Bastards

Hey buddy.
We have talked about this before . It would take exceptional everything to get anywhere close to that kinda figure, that could be backed up at the track. Not saying it’s impossible, but it would be ultra top shelf power for a W5 deal.
I know you have mentioned a guy you know making supposedly that kind of power, so maybe it’s possible.
My old motor/ car( after I sold it) had several upgrades made( things I wasn’t willing to do when I had it) and has been very recently 140 mph at 3220 pounds on leaf springs. Spring eater roller cam.
When that motor was dynoed at Best Machine it made 708. They were a super reputable shop( recently closed as the owners retired) Most anybody in the Mopar community knows that shop and the work they produce, they did all the machine work for both of us.
That is the high water mark I have ever heard of , at the track, with those heads. This is currently a 14+ compression deal on gas, no vacuum pump, shelf headers( TTI W 5) .
So alky, vacuum pump, maybe extra power could be found.
This all said..the casting quality of any of those heads flat sucks, even the supposedly better blue plug heads. They leak bad too. Been there done that with those. Thin spring pockets when ported, just frankly knowing what I know now, would never invest the pile of money in them needed and expect long term reliability.
Victor heads would be more reliable and make more power, or even Indy heads

Last edited:
I can run it in Performance Trends but the accurate result will be if you have real flow data for the heads.
The pistons will be custom JE but the final static compression should be between 14.5 and 15 to 1. Sorry about the cam card I don't know how to flip it around. Rocker arms are 1.6 , I'll be using a Indy intake. Alcohol for fuel.

received_1752636931881840.jpeg

20240207_131643.jpg

A member on here ran it on dd5 came up with 720 hp at 7500. He's going to plug in more camshaft and see if it helps. My new car is probably going to weigh about 3100 with me in it. And I need to be able to run 5.95 in 100 degrees and bad air. We're going to bracket race and 6.00 index race. I appreciate everyone's response. I think I'll be able to get where I'm trying to get.

Hey buddy.
We have talked about this before . It would take exceptional everything to get anywhere close to that kinda figure, that could be backed up at the track. Not saying it’s impossible, but it would be ultra top shelf power for a W5 deal.
I know you have mentioned a guy you know making supposedly that kind of power, so maybe it’s possible.
My old motor/ car( after I sold it) had several upgrades made( things I wasn’t willing to do when I had it) and has been very recently 140 mph at 3220 pounds on leaf springs. Spring eater roller cam.
When that motor was dynoed at Best Machine it made 708. They were a super reputable shop( recently closed as the owners retired) Most anybody in the Mopar community knows that shop and the work they produce, they did all the machine work for both of us.
That is the high water mark I have ever heard of , at the track, with those heads. This is currently a 14+ compression deal on gas, no vacuum pump, shelf headers( TTI W 5) .
So alky, vacuum pump, maybe extra power could be found.
This all said..the casting quality of any of those heads flat sucks, even the supposedly better blue plug heads. They leak bad too. Been there done that with those. Thin spring pockets when ported, just frankly knowing what I know now, would never invest the pile of money in them needed and expect long term reliability.
Victor heads would be more reliable and make more power, or even Indy heads
You maybe right. But I've made 680 hp with Bloomer heads and 11.2 to 1 . Surely I can make 740 with a really good W5 and lots of compression, Indy intake, more camshaft. As far as the poor castings mine are pretty good and we've got a guy that can seal the heads under pressure. You just won't be able to weld on them after he seals them. I've got everything to build the engine except the pistons. So I'm not going to have to come out of my pocket much more. I was going to use my w7's for this project. But I'm going to give them to my son for his project. I believe that in the end I'll be able to go 5.80's in my Valiant with the W5 engine. Fingers crossed .

The pistons will be custom JE but the final static compression should be between 14.5 and 15 to 1. Sorry about the cam card I don't know how to flip it around. Rocker arms are 1.6 , I'll be using a Indy intake. Alcohol for fuel.

View attachment 1716204134

View attachment 1716204135

Headers? Length of tubes to collector, length of collector, diameter of each? Carb CFM?

View attachment 1716204134

View attachment 1716204135

I asked Brett about these on Facebook and if they quit or backed up after .600 and he said yes they did and did so badly. He was blaming it in the huge intake valve he used.

IMG_1571.jpeg

Headers? Length of tubes to collector, length of collector, diameter of each? Carb CFM?
2" diameter primary, 36" long primary, 3.5" merge collector, 18" long. 1040 cfm 4150 style carb

I asked Brett about these on Facebook and if they quit or backed up after .600 and he said yes they did and did so badly. He was blaming it in the huge intake valve he used.

View attachment 1716204173
Well I guess we'll see. Larry Smith ported them for me, he passed away before he could finish them. Brett is going to help me out and do the valve job and set the springs up. I think he's going to send them out and have his friend apply his sealant on them.

Last edited:
-
Back