desktop dyno help

-

DusterBoy15

THE WISE(guy) MEMBER
Reaction score
who has it and can help me set it up?

like what is the cam specs @?

and what are all those abrevations at the bottom?

ivo evo ivc evc so on i need up getting a accurate estimate for the idea builds i have becasue so far it says my 318 would make 308hp at 5500 and 294tq at same rpm and for the 360 it says i would make like 393 at 5500 and 420 at like 4500 or something please help

I don't have it but the ivo would be intake valve open, evo would be exhaust valve open, ivc would be intake valve closed, and evc would be exhaust valve closed. Sounds like you need to have the spec sheet for each cam in each motor and put in the info for all of the above including lift and duration.

Ahhh youthful excitement.

What you need, aside from Desktop Dyno, is a couple good books (or google searches) on internal combustion engine theory.
Then (I)ntake (V)alve (O)peninng and (E)xhaust (V)alve (C)losing would make more sense. It needs better info than the basic "268duration and 470 lift" you will be reading in all the catalogs. Even with that better info, it's still basically a cool video game that assumes a lot to get it's numbers. Read and learn..then see it for what it really is. It's decent to map trends, but it wont get you bible truths.

I use it all the time. You can read straight off a cam spec card and input it. I personally use @.050" timing. Another thing is to get the correct head flow numbers. They make a big difference. One note is when you get into good flowing heads (like Indy's or Big Port Commando's) and big cams, it tends to get inaccurate. I replicated a 660 hp 426 LA that Horsepower TV built and it only made 590hp at 6000 and 580 lb/ft tq at 4500.

One note is when you get into good flowing heads (like Indy's or Big Port Commando's) and big cams, it tends to get inaccurate. I replicated a 660 hp 426 LA that Horsepower TV built and it only made 590hp at 6000 and 580 lb/ft tq at 4500.

Thats was my point. It can show trends, but it wont give exacts. That, and the quality of machine work can make huge diferences in the final result. You can do every operation, and buy every exact part, and put it all together, and still not make what they say, or perhaps exceed what they say.

Thats was my point. It can show trends, but it wont give exacts. That, and the quality of machine work can make huge diferences in the final result. You can do every operation, and buy every exact part, and put it all together, and still not make what they say, or perhaps exceed what they say.

i agree, i tried everything with my 340 build in desktopdyno first and desktopdyno showed 540hp wish iam realy sure it doesnt have but iam sure it has about 450-500hp but i can tell the engine has a powerband that matches what desktopdyno predicted, with a real nice midrange and lots of power at high rpm

thanks but it wont let me it says cannot create directory

Everything seems to download fine but when you click on the desktop icon a window opens that says "The application has failed to start because olch2h8.dll was not forund. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." I've tried re-installing it several times with no luck.

I am able to get the demo up and running no problem. But you need the activation key not the serial number to get the full program to run.
Are you out there muller?

Jack

I did the straight download not the automatic download. The trick to get it to run was to start the program by going to the folder with the .exe file and double clicking on it. As I said above, getting the demo to run was not a problem. Getting the full program to run will require the activation key, not the serial number.

Jack

I did the straight download not the automatic download. The trick to get it to run was to start the program by going to the folder with the .exe file and double clicking on it. As I said above, getting the demo to run was not a problem. Getting the full program to run will require the activation key, not the serial number.

Jack

I got it to run but pretty much useless until the right activation key is entered. Can't change the bore and stroke of the engine will not allow accurate results.

Any help on this muller?

allso download the other icon and replace it with the one in the created folder,and make a shortcut to the desktop of that icon....than it works

I have downloaded the 30310 file with no trouble but when I try to download the other file (14712) I get "This application has failed to start because olch2d8.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem" Is that file "the other icon" you are speaking of? I'm getting everything but I can't change bore and stroke. I can change the cam and some other things.

there are 2 folders on that website,desktop dyno 2003 and dyno2003....if you install desktop dyno 2003 it will create a folder on your hard drive and a shortcut on your desktop..delete the shortcut!!

than download dyno2003 and put it in the created folder from desktop dyno 2003,it has to replace the other icon...after you replaced it and click on the icon it should work

i'll upload an other one this weekend,i have an other version witch is easyer to install

Thanks muller!
I got the original version you have posted working. After while even my thick head can follow instructions. LOL

I'm not sure of what I'm looking at just yet, but the torque and HP curves were similar to my dyno sheet.

Jack

-
Back