Desoto Hemi WIW??

-

blackace

The KING of flats
Reaction score
I have found a Desoto Hemi, but I have no clue how much this is worth. I am not getting it to sell. I would be keeping it for a future project that I've had in mind for a while now. RPM should be able to figure that one out. LOL!

It is an original unmolested non running motor.

What size? 277? 291? Early fifties or 1956 to 58? The older smaller displacement ones are climbing in value and there are a few places that have rebuild kits besides HOTHEADS. Just remember that parts from a Dodge hemi, Plymouth hemi, DeSoto Hemi and Chrysler hemi will NOT interchange, they were all different families back then. A basic rebuild kit will run you about $2000, then there's machining, etc. plus what you paid for it. That should give you a rough idea of what its worth. I've seen running ones with transmissions go for $750-$1500 depending on condition and running etc. I always wanted to put one in a T-bucket just to make a Ford guy puke.

My friend had a 331 Hemi out of a 55 something... He sold it a few years back for $500 and it was complete from carbs to pan.

I always wanted to put one in a T-bucket just to make a Ford guy puke.

Actually that is what my plans are. LOL!!

I've always wanted a T Bucket since I was a kid. Starting to get some parts here and there to build one.

Wow, cool. I would love to shove one of those into my '65 barracuda. That would be very cool.

I had a 65 Coronet convertible that was just itching to have a Hemi in it. I had a 392 I got in a trade for some big block heads. So I ended up getting it rebuilt. Before the swap could take place, the convert went bye bye. Someone on this forum has shoehorned a 354 in an early A Body; I think the 392 is wider taller deck) than the 354 and would be too wide to fit in my 65 Dart wagon. Oh well.

Ya, I've seen the car. That is what has got me wanting to do that.

Other Hemi options could be the non-extended bellhousing 331 The 241, 270, 315 and 325 Dodge early Hemis as well as the DeSoto Hemis should fit an early A Body as well.

There's a guy kicking around Central Texas the an 20s vintage Plymouth with a cross-ram 340 in it. Something like that would be cool with your Hemi & all Mopar.

if it has motor mounts it's later and probably a 341 or possibly a 345. the chrysler hemi's are worth more but the Desoto Hemi's fit in projects better since they're smaller physically. the Dodge Hemi's are smaller yet. figure out which one you have it will make a big difference in value.

-
Back