Detailed DemonIVR installation instructions please? 1970 duster

-

Schneiderman

Reaction score
Sorry for being needy but I know almost nothing about electronics. I need to be told how to install this thing. The pictures at demonivr are not helping me understand what I need to do.

Right now I have the instrument panel removed enough that I think I can manage the install. It is still connected to some wires but is hanging loose and I have room to get in there. My understanding is that I need to screw the thing to the circuit board, and connect the wires. I imagine the old voltage regulator must be removed also? What does the old one look like (please be as detailed as possible)? Where do I screw this in and where do I connect it? Has red (12v +), yellow (5v +) and ground.

Thanks so much for any help, this is one thing I can not do without assistance.

Update: I found out what the old regulator looks like and now understand where the yellow wire goes. I also understand the other two points where the red and ground wire go but I don't know which is which. What really confuses me is that I found one source saying that the ground goes to the socket on the passenger side of the car and the red goes to the middle, but I also have another little tin cylinder labeled "gas" with a black wire going to the middle socket. Black typically means ground, right? So why would a ground wire go to the same place as a hot 12v wire?

So to simplify my situation: I removed the old regulator which had 3 prongs, and I know that the yellow 5v wire from the DemonIVR goes to the socket on the right side of the board/driver side. I know that the black ground wire and red 12v wire go to the locations of the other two prongs, but I don't know which is which. I have an additional thingy that is screwed to the instrument panel with a wire going to the center socket.

One more question: I have only two screws to which I can affix the wires from the DemonIVR. The center socket has no screw to attach to, it's just a slot to stick a prong into. How do I reliably connect the wire to this socket? Soldering is a last resort. I "can" do it but I am not skilled at soldering, don't have good soldering tools and also the instrument panel is still attached to some wires and is hanging from the dash giving me just barely enough room to move around in there. I also don't even know if it is safe to solder these components (how much heat can the instrument panel handle?).

And final update, for anyone who faces the same problem as me in the future and finds this thread:

I emailed RedFish and he clarified the install. With the three prong connector removed and looking at the board, it goes ground on the left, red 12v in the middle and yellow 5v on the right. On the left and right connections there are screws available to secure the wires. On the middle (red 12v) connection you can screw a small screw into the socket to secure the wire. RedFish says that this does not damage the socket and you could reinstall a factory or factory style voltage regulator without a problem.

The other tin cylinder with a black wire going to the middle socket is removed and you can install the DemonIVR to the same location with the same screw.

The black wire is ground. That ring terminal can be placed under any of those screws that attach the printed circuit board to the housing. The printed copper trace is fairly easy to follow. Each gauge has 2 posts. One post of each gauge gets 5 volts supply and the other posts get a signal from a sender.

-
Back