Detailing suspension....questions

-

choppintime

Reaction score
As the title states, I'm detailing my Demon suspension. Want to get most of the components close to factory colors, don't need to be spot on. Rear, springs, front hangers will be black. Rear hangers/shock plates and 8 3/4 chunk should be a cast color, correct?

Also, what colors on front suspension?

Any thoughts/pictures are appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Chris

Perhaps this will help? I do Mopar parts restorations among other things and this is the list I refer to. I have no idea where I got it but I've had it for years; no one has ever suggested that it was less than accurate.

It's on an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper and one photo didn't cut it -- I believe this is pretty self-explanatory (I overlapped the text a bit) but hit me up for specific questions if not.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 007.jpg

View attachment 008.jpg

View attachment 009.jpg

View attachment 010.jpg

I'll upload the bottom of the page in my next post. I ran outta room. :D

So are you planning on painting everything...even the parts that are supposed to be bare metal? Or, are you wanting to darken certain parts and leave them unpainted?

If you don't plan on painting everything, "gun bluing" and RPM will need to be purchased. When applied correctly, you can get great results.

Was wanting to powdercoat everything. Looking to get the colors close. How much gloss on rear housing if I'm powder coating it?

Chris

It's my understanding powder coat rates gloss from 0 to 60%. Would 60 % be way too glossy?

What color to powder coat rear spring hangers/shock plates.

Thanks

..i have seen references to the lower control arms and all seem to be raw steel
dipped in cosmoline...i just painted mine

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 316
Be careful with powder coating the LCA's. I've heard some people say that the powder flowed into the pivot end and it became frozen after baking. If you do end up having it done, let me know how it turns out.

I'm still learning A-bodies but I think some of their LCA's were dipped in black paint. I'd examine your LCA's and look for evidence of black paint just to be sure.

It's my understanding powder coat rates gloss from 0 to 60%. Would 60 % be way too glossy?

What color to powder coat rear spring hangers/shock plates.

Thanks

Gloss rates vary from manufacturer and between similar powders. They go all the way up to 100%.

Be careful with powder coating the LCA's. I've heard some people say that the powder flowed into the pivot end and it became frozen after baking. If you do end up having it done, let me know how it turns out.

I'm still learning A-bodies but I think some of their LCA's were dipped in black paint. I'd examine your LCA's and look for evidence of black paint just to be sure.

burdar, if you choose a qualified coater who's familiar with automotive parts, you shouldn't have any issues when you install the finished parts. Masking areas to be left bare and plugging threads should be industry standards; however, they are not. There are quite a few suspension pics / finishing ideas on my website.

from experience, i would say dont waste the money powder coating.

in the end, its really not that durable, cannot be touched up and does not look as good as paint.

from experience, i would say dont waste the money powder coating.

in the end, its really not that durable, cannot be touched up and does not look as good as paint.

:-D ... as the tide of prior PSC customers come out of the woodwork to dispute the content of the last post ........

Some shops aren't the same as all the others. It's the same as any other industry -- you get what you pay for.

-
Back