Determining stall speed

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to determine the stall speed of a convertor without it being installed in a trans? I have access to an (apparently) 3000 rpm stall TCI convertor. Is there any way of verifying that it truly IS a 3000 stall?

There are no identifying marks on the case anywhere. This is also for an off-brand (GM Turbo 350) unit.

Without bolting her up and running her there's no way of knowing unless you can get back to TCI with some numbers, there should be something punched into the housing. Also if the spline design is for a 350 will it fit the 904 or 727 or is going on a chebby. That being said TCI is crap as far as I'm concerned and there far better units out there.

..........If it is a TCI, it will have numbers on it...........kim..........

It only has a "1969" and a "B" stamped into the case. Can't find any other numbers. I can't find any TCI match for the stampings. It's about 11.5" overall outside diameter. I can post a pic, if it'll help.

There should be identifying numbers stamped in it.

I am not sure about all TCI converters but my TCI sizzler stall converter I put in my duster was painted gun metal greay from the factory and had a TCI sticker on it from the factory aswell.

Only way I know is installed. Put trans in high gear, slowly run the RPM up until it quits climbing. Where it stabilizes is your stall speed.

........Then its not a TCI........post a pic,.........kim..........

Thanks for all the reply's guys. Heres 4 pics...no TCI sticker or stamping....hope you can ID it for me....

Attachments

• TCI Convertor 001 (Medium).jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 168
  • TCI Convertor 002 (Medium).jpg
    75 KB · Views: 181
  • TCI Convertor 003 (Medium).jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 179
  • TCI Convertor 004 (Medium).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 162
Almost looks like a Vega converter.

-
Back