Deviating from the Original Color on a 69 GTS

-

68GTconvert

Reaction score
I have been planning all along to paint my 1969 Dart GTS 4 speed back to W1 white. I know it will take away from the value, but what do you think about changing from the original white to black. This would make it a triple black car. I have really been thinking about doing this. Talk me out of it.

Black is neat BUT prep work has to be perfect - attracts heat - pain to keep clean wouldn't have any of these problems with white.White would be my choice or try this

Attachments

• paint1.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 237
If you plan on keeping the car for a extended period of time, paint it whatever color suits you. If you plan on turning the car for the biggest bucks, take it back original. Just my .02

If you plan on keeping the car for a extended period of time, paint it whatever color suits you. If you plan on turning the car for the biggest bucks, take it back original. Just my .02

I am not going to sell this one. I plan on keeping it for a long time.

Ah yes, the age old question do I change the color or not, I also wanted black for my 69 Barracuda but decided to stay with the stock Y2 (the Y stands for yuk). I decided it didn't make sense on a numbers matching BB car or any valuable car.

I am not going to sell this one. I plan on keeping it for a long time.

I asked this question about a year ago on my original 65 Barracuda and got this back in return, build the car as you see fit as you like and what you want because if you do a nice job on what ever you decide not many others will care if it has original factory colors. Some true collectors might care but most will not if the paint is done quality, in a nut shell do what you will enjoy and have fun because chances are if you are building to make money your gonna lose your Butt in today's market. Have Fun and enjoy ,these are JMO Good Luck

the way I see it is that, if it's been repainted, it isn't original any more so who cares?

While I wouldn't paint over original paint just because I don't like the color, I sure wouldn't paint a vehicle a color I didn't like just because it was the original color.

In other words (not like I really need more words lol) next time it can be painted the original color. This time, I'm going to paint it the way I like.

It's your car, paint it whatever color you like!!

When I took my GTX to the Nats this past year to put up for sale, the first thing out of a lady collectors mouth was.."too bad you did a color change, you really hurt the resale of the car". To that I informed her that I didn't do the color change, it was like that when I got it, and if she wanted to buy it I wouldn't mind one bit if she changed it back to original.

She didn't buy it!!! Geof

W1 White Rocks !

Thats what I'm painting mine right now.

Attachments

• S5003360.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 183
  • frontfender.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 175
black shows every little ding. has to be perfect body work. if you have nice straight panels and stuff go for it.

white is more forgiving. you could consider other colors though, if you prefer something other than white

The only other color I would do is black. Milehigh thanks for those pics W1 on your car looks really good.

Kinda partial to the white myself.:icon_smi: Its the original color of my Swinger,and had orig paint when I got the car. It only had 19,000 documented miles when I bought it,I manage a bodyshop for a living,so paint it free to me, I wanted to paint it a different color too.So repainted it W1..
Just couldn't bring myself to. I left the jams etc factory paint still.

I have had more people tell me they love the color, just because you don't see to many in white, so....one vote for white :burnout:

Attachments

• SSCN0037.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 164
Kinda partial to the white myself.:icon_smi: Its the original color of my Swinger,and had orig paint when I got the car. It only had 19,000 documented miles when I bought it,I manage a bodyshop for a living,so paint it free to me, I wanted to paint it a different color too.So repainted it W1..
Just couldn't bring myself to. I left the jams etc factory paint still.

I have had more people tell me they love the color, just because you don't see to many in white, so....one vote for white :burnout:

Looks nice. Maybe I just needed to see a few Darts done in white. I have been looking at the primer or sealer on the car for too long. I think I am going to stick with the original plan and color(white). Thanks

I think you are making the right choice going with the original white with an original gts car! If it was a clone I would say paint it the way you would of ordered one back when it was new! looks like you have a very car there...good luck with your prtoject!

I say paint it the color you would like to have on it, its your car that you will enjoy and if you do what others tell you then you might have regrets. Example: I wanted to put a 440 in my 69 to have something different,but friends told me that a 440 will be too nose heavy and that a 340 will be a lot more fun. I went against my intuitions and put the 340 in and now I tell myself I wished I had put the 440 in. Dont get me wrong, the 340 is a tremendous amount of fun to drive but it just wasnt what I really wanted. Those 2 white cars with the torque thrust style wheels do look killer though!!

white, black, blue, red, burnt orange, cream, yellow, green...just about every color looks great on a dart. a great matching interior and a belt is even better , and with great looking wheels, paint it whatever color you like. if you plan on selling this car as an original and like the concept of keeping cars original, then you almost have to paint it the original color, but, it can always be repainted.

heres a couple

Attachments

• gts.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 170
  • gts2.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 163
  • gts1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 159
  • gts3.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 156
-
Back