Dextron VS FA

-

jefflock

69 Dart 408 10.08 best pass so far
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to pull the tranny and change converters. My question is should I or would there be any advantage to changing to FA type fluid? I've heard that it is better with less slipage. Any thoughts on this?

im going to use mopar atf+4. thats fully synthetic...its used in all the nag 1 trans in the srt8 cars, trucks etc...

Use what ever you feel comfortable with. I have used Dextron, Type F and Type 3 with out issues.

Have been building transmissions for 30+ years, Fords and Mopar can both use Type F, it has a high drag base than Dextron and will bite a little better. Most all of the HP fluids on the market are based on Type F product design.

If you look at a C-6 and a 904/727 they are about the same configuration, clutches and bands, most GM ie TH400 are a clutch only based trans. So they need less drag for the clutches in a mostly stock build. Mopar trans will benifit some depending on the material used with type F. It will be a tighter firmer shift and handle a little more heat.

Also most of the newer clutches in in the rebuild kits depending on the kit dictate what fluid to use?

So with that said what type of clutches and material on them was used?

If it is stock do as Joe says and go with Dextron II is fine.

I haven't studied real deep in the subject but I do know type F does have a higher co-efficient of drag so it will slip slightly less but it also has a lower burning point so for that reason I only use Dexron. jmho

if srt8's arnt hp cars right out of the plant....than im a jet pilot..

if transmissions havent changed from 1969 to 2008 then im a astronaut.

I feel better about using Type F in my 1972 trans. I'm not too educated on the subject of the Mopar ATF+4, however I wouldn't base using something in a 30 year old design just because the new ones use it. It may be perfectly fine, but i'd look into it more than that..

John Cope (CRT transmissions) and Chris Andrews (Andrews Racing Trans) each recommend ATF+4.

ATF+4 replaced 7176 and ATF+3.

I have used every fluid know to man in my TF and never had a problem. Just dont mix them and your fine. ATF+4 is synthetic so its not cheap.

I too have been doing 727's for many years. Type F has a friction modifier which was allways the fluid of choice for HP or racing apps.

The primary difference between ATF+3 and ATF+4 is the fact that they have differnent friction modifiers than Dextron to prevent lock-up torque convertor shudder.

The oweners manual of my 89 Dakota recomended 7176, ATF+3 or Dextron III. I was doing a flush and filter change and Dextron III was handy so I used it. I drove down the street turned around came home and got that stuff out. The lock up shudder was so bad I though I was going to shake the tranny right out of the truck.

ATF+4 is synthetic based but it's real advantage is the higher temperature break resistance and it's anti-foaming characteristics. Mopar put out a Tech Bulletin a few years back recommending ATF+4 be used in all applications that had recommending ATF+3.

Now that ATF+4 is available from most oil companies the price has come way down. I just did a flush and filter a couple months back on my new Dakota and used Valvoline brand ATF+4 and it was $3.75 per quart.

Is ATF+3 available anymore ? Last I looked all I could fins was +4.

+3 is still available. Just bought some

Let me toss this out for the "experts" to argue about

There is a guy down here who has run a pedigreed Max wedge car for the last 40 years. He uses CAT 10w hydraulic oil in his tranny and claims it is THE best.
I saw one he had run opened up and it looked freshly built instead of pounded on.....

I know a guy doing the same(he just started using it)i thought he was building a time bomb.He hasnt run the car yet,still finishing it up.I would also like to hear some "expert"opinions on this,before he carries it to the track the first time

im a mechanic in a chrysler dealer.......atf+4 is rec from chrysler.just like someone said it has a friction modifier. if an older minvan comes in and it says on the stick,(use trans fluid atf+) we put in atf+4...our dealer only carries atf+4 for auto trans...even the new manual gear boxes take atf+4

goodys gotta cuda...more like goodys gotta a attitude...and alone from more planitary gear sets and elctronic shift control and torque management, the transmixers are very similar....

yeah, all important with the bmw talk....who makes the nag 1 slim? its a kraut made trans.....all "high tech" like your bmw...sounds like your daddy still holds your hand huh?....

dont put words in my mouth either....if i was thinking that, i would have said it...what does your bmw have to do with jeffs question of tranni fluid in his mopar?....save it for the euro sites....

obviously it wasnt before i got to it because i read it...before everyone else got to it yes...im 22...and do you just change oil on those bmw's?

i dont think you're the one who dumped all that money in your nice looking cuda is what i was getting at...

-
Back