Did any 727s have iron cases?

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
I've always wondered if the transmission in my car is original or was assembled from mix-n-match parts. Basically it is a 727, but it has an iron case. I had always heard that all 727s had an alloy case and that only 488s had an iron case, but maybe that is incorrect. Can anybody set me straight on this? Thanks.

Some of the real early ones did, but I was not aware they were even referred to as a 727. I thought they were just called "Torqueflite". Tom Hand might can come along and answer your question. He is perhaps the definitive Torqueflite guy if ever there was, IMO.

According to All-Par

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/torqueflite.html

the big split between iron 488 and aluminum 727 was 62 They claim that the 488 (iron) was internally much different from a 727

The aluminum TF did still have rear pumps for a few more years---through 65

Dear Rob and Del: does looking at the attached pictures tell you anything? I always assumed it was an A-488, but other people have told me it is an A-727. Thanks again.

Attachments

• trans from front.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 111
  • trans from rear.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 118
  • trans yoke.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 111
  • parking brake cable and cable housing cover.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 102
That does not look like cast iron, to me Put a magnet on the case/

The yoke seems odd. All of the older ones I've seen have the bolt on flange drive yoke. That one there is more typical of a heavy truck / motor home. You may have a tail housing / shaft off something else.

It has a 727 pan and it looks aluminum to me too. I see it has the boss at the rear of the tailshaft for the cast iron weight but isn't drilled out for it. It looks pre 66 to me since it is push button.

The bellhousing and tail shaft look aluminum.

ya , 62 to 64 alum 727 is what i see , the 65 unit had shift/park cables also , but had a slip type yoke as the later 727's . someone has remove the flat flange , cup and pin and used a bolt on yoke and a slip spline drive line , thats a great set up , unless you go to the 65 type cabler 727 . have that set up on a few of my early cars and p/u's .

-
Back