Did Facebook kill the Car Forums - Hagerty

-
The only good thing about FakeBook, in my opinion, is Marketplace. Before that, it was Craigslist, which I wish would make a comeback

The only good thing about FakeBook, in my opinion, is Marketplace. Before that, it was Craigslist, which I wish would make a comeback
ewwwww....you really think marketpharce is good? I caint stand it. Its search function is worse than FABO and that takes some doin. Not to mention all the scammers.

Facebook is a terrible platform for learning and asking questions. Marketplace is even worse! In the Facebook groups you got a newbie honestly trying to learn and they ask a question that seems dumb or simple to the seasoned guys and you get 300 smart-*** comments like oh it's the flux capacitor, or blinker fluid. And out of the 300 smart-*** answers you may get 5 guys that give a honest, correct answer then those 5 guys get barraded by the know it alls telling them they are wrong when there answer was "fried chicken" it's impossible to filter out the bull **** and find an honest answer! I quit posting anything about my car on any of them groups! And market place is full of scammers and "I know what I got" prices! I have found 2 or 3 groups on fb that are actually decent and the group is well moderated ! One is A-bodies only. I don't think it's any affiliate of this forum but I could be wrong. There is a 6.2 gas super duty group that has some really great guys and the D-150 truck group. It's fantastic it's almost as good as here! Everyone there is friendly and helpful. I've yet to run into that keyboard warrior asshole!

ewwwww....you really think marketpharce is good? I caint stand it. Its search function is worse than FABO and that takes some doin. Not to mention all the scammers.

IMG_8481.jpeg

IMG_3514.jpeg

Facebook is a terrible platform for learning and asking questions. Marketplace is even worse! In the Facebook groups you got a newbie honestly trying to learn and they ask a question that seems dumb or simple to the seasoned guys and you get 300 smart-*** comments like oh it's the flux capacitor, or blinker fluid. And out of the 300 smart-*** answers you may get 5 guys that give a honest, correct answer then those 5 guys get barraded by the know it alls telling them they are wrong when there answer was "fried chicken" it's impossible to filter out the bull **** and find an honest answer! I quit posting anything about my car on any of them groups! And market place is full of scammers and "I know what I got" prices! I have found 2 or 3 groups on fb that are actually decent and the group is well moderated ! One is A-bodies only. I don't think it's any affiliate of this forum but I could be wrong. There is a 6.2 gas super duty group that has some really great guys and the D-150 truck group. It's fantastic it's almost as good as here! Everyone there is friendly and helpful. I've yet to run into that keyboard warrior asshole!
I've had that happen to me several times when I gave the correct answer. I've slowed down a lot helping people on Facebook. Here too, in fact.

I've had that happen to me several times when I gave the correct answer. I've slowed down a lot helping people on Facebook. Here too, in fact.
Yea I have experienced that also they are all ready to throw parts at a problem and the person who posted the original question doesn't have a clue where to begin. Rip off all the emission parts you don't need them anyhow etc. What if the OP lives in a state that has emissions inspection? A lot of this younger generation has no clue on how to repair modern vehicles.

ewwwww....you really think marketpharce is good? I caint stand it. Its search function is worse than FABO and that takes some doin. Not to mention all the scammers. There’s assholes and scammers on there just like there is on FABO and every other website these days. It depends what you’re looking for, I guess.

There’s plenty of a**holes and scammers on FABO, too…..and every other website, for that matter. Trust me, I’m not a fan of FB by any means, but I don’t think I would have found the NOS door for my Beetle project had I not seen the ad there.

I am on a couple of good groups on FB. OnlyABodies and Magnum EFI swap Group. even then , there are a few sa's, but they get dropped asap.

Marketplace has been a Godsend for me. I've bought everything under the sun off of there ! No way for me to get scammed, I go to seller's house/shop and check out item or I ain't buying. I have no desire to sell on there, though. I've had my son list a couple things for me. Search function works like crap on EVERYTHING, especially HERE !! One of my latest buys.
IMG_20231022_202748960.jpg

Since the "Yard Sale" was killed by FBM.. it's the only option. I stick to short driving distance and in- person meets.

Facebook is pretty much dead to me anyways. But I've been in a few Mopar groups then, but no more.
It's chock-full of know-it-all 20 somethings who'll argue with you then go into a screeching meltdown when you prove them wrong with facts.
I mean there are a few of the young'ins that give me hope like @gwmax65 who's big into swapping 5.2/5.9 Magnums into A-bodies and has done quite a few. He's nearby to me so I do hear from him locally from time to time. One of the many arguments I had previously on these so called A-body groups was when some guy said A904's never came behind V8's. I told him he was wrong and that there were even stronger variants (998/999) that came behind 318 M-bodies, vans, etc. in the 1980's, even behind police cruisers. I showed him sources, he still denied it, I even had the backing of quite a few members, one even said he raced with them.
It got so bad because he then had his 20-something so-called "expert friends" come out their basements and goblin hovels to his defense.
One of his goblin-friends claimed he broke his 904 in his so-called "all original, rare 1967 Duster with a 340 six-pack... :BangHead:
I told he was full of **** and there was no such thing and that you just "proved your friend wrong with your fake story you dummy"...
The admin (another 20-something basement dwelling goblin) then suspended me for harassing one of his hovel-mates. Yeah I was done.
I much, much, much prefer FABO. Yes there are a few "special cases" here and there. But so much better than the farcebook groups.

Last edited:
Yea I have experienced that also they are all ready to throw parts at a problem and the person who posted the original question doesn't have a clue where to begin. Rip off all the emission parts you don't need them anyhow etc. What if the OP lives in a state that has emissions inspection? A lot of this younger generation has no clue on how to repair modern vehicles.
It's not just FB or Marketplace, as I see that a LOT on the Ford truck forum as well. Guy asks a question, and frequently within 2 or 3 responses someone is telling them to rip everything out. I used to respond, but now I just "roll my eyes" and move one.

A lot of the "old guard" has given up posting over there, and I'm about 99% of the way there myself.

The best way to be involved in the car hobby is deal with only true honest hobbiest and informed and talented people. FABO is an example of a place to spend time. 99.9 % good people.

FB Marketplace is full of NON hobbiest types that have NO clue what a project car is worth. The only people worth the time top deal with are real people that have knowledge of what they are trying to sell. Same holds true for the guy on their selling a "good" car. 95% of guys on Marketplace are idiots.

FB car sites dedicated to a select model or make have many good guys, some even knowledgable, some honest, some idiots, some scammers, some assholes, some phycos...... a buffet of sorts!!

Marketplace has been a Godsend for me. I've bought everything under the sun off of there ! No way for me to get scammed, I go to seller's house/shop and check out item or I ain't buying. I have no desire to sell on there, though. I've had my son list a couple things for me. Search function works like crap on EVERYTHING, especially HERE !! One of my latest buys.View attachment 1716276682
Here in S. E. Texas, it is a 3-6 hour drive (one way) to go look at anything. Most parts needed are 6 states away. Scammers can be found, everywhere, but I agree, in person deals are whats safe! (Just be locked and loaded.)

Honestly if I started a list on what I’ve bought and sold on marketplace I would be here probably three hours thinking about everything. Real quick I sold a 13,000.00 race car, 3500.00 Mopar mega block, 2700.00.00 brand new 505 balanced 440source assembly. Bought over 3000.00 valve and seat machine, two head and block pressure tester ???. 9 pare LS heads, several intakes, pistons, cranks, lots of 360’s, lots of 727’s, lots of powerglides, and a lot more.

I've also had great luck on Facebook marketplace but everything I bought and sold was local. Scammers are everywhere, they knock on your doors trying to sell you an item or service. They're in this forum, they're begging for money at the gas station, absolutely everywhere. Use caution and common sense

I still use it. Great way to meet local Mopar folk. I was selling Valiant parts to the man that I got the Duster from. I’m a homesteader too and there are plenty of users trading, bartering, and selling things from chickens to Japanese mini trucks.

It’s nice once you get hooked up with people after a buy and you say hey if you get anymore call me. And they do. Now some guys meet me at tracks in Ohio, Keystone, I’ll offer some cash to meet me outside of Pissburgh and they jump on that. Pissburgh Mills mall is a nice safe place but I still go a packin.

I don't know it all by no means I'm still learning daily! But I have obtained alot of knowledge in the last 10 years or so mostly from you guys! And doing my own work! Most of those guys on Facebook have never turned a wrench they are just going off what "their mechanic" told them. It drives me crazy when someone with a car that someone else built for them tries to tell me how I built mine wrong!

I don't know it all by no means I'm still learning daily! But I have obtained alot of knowledge in the last 10 years or so mostly from you guys! And doing my own work! Most of those guys on Facebook have never turned a wrench they are just going off what "their mechanic" told them. It drives me crazy when someone with a car that someone else built for them tries to tell me how I built mine wrong!
Chit man, you never need any of us. You got sense yourself to figure it out. Look how much you've done.

-
Back