Did I just ruin my crank?

-
Alright that's good to know. This is my first engine build so every little thing I mess up I've been freaking out about, the engine isn't going to be a high revving bumble bee anyway.

Now I just need to find somewhere around here that actually sells crocus cloth...

Looks like you're doin a good job. That's a booboo anybody could do..specially on their first one.

Oh and I am eagerly awaiting my big block. Is it comin UPS, USPS, or FEDEX? I think gheyhound would be cheapest.

replace the rod bearing clean the journal again .. always put boots on the rod bolt end during install .. Use a blow gun to clean the parts keep a clean shop n engine will be clean also ...

Couldn't find any crocus cloth at any of the local hardware stores, closest thing was 150 grit emery and that doesn't seem like a good idea. I did get some sheets of 600 grit and 1500 grit regular sandpaper could I get by with that? Put a strip onto a belt and polish each journal out by running the belt around them, 600 then 1500 to polish?

Couldn't find any crocus cloth at any of the local hardware stores, closest thing was 150 grit emery and that doesn't seem like a good idea. I did get some sheets of 600 grit and 1500 grit regular sandpaper could I get by with that? Put a strip onto a belt and polish each journal out by running the belt around them, 600 then 1500 to polish?

Been searching around some and man this stuff is alot more elusive then i thought. I've seen some online sources but large rolls and big bucks.
Goodson has a cloth just made for polishing and if you have the time to order may be your best bet. It's supposed to be used with lapping oil, but in some other forums guys are just using ATF with 600+ grit. What you have now may very well work if it will stay together long enough. I'll throw in Goodson's link in case you need it. Good luck, Rick

http://www.goodson.com/Abrasives/

P.S. Most emory cloth is too coarse.

I wrap the cloth on tight then take a leather shoelace and wrap it around as many times as possible then a milkin' the cow motion with two hands.

Hey,at least you did the right procedure.I know a few people that plasti gage 1 rod,1 main,and slam it together in a hurry.

Hey,at least you did the right procedure.I know a few people that plasti gage 1 rod,1 main,and slam it together in a hurry.

Well I missed a very key part, protect the rod bolts, but hey thats how ya learn :burnout:

Gonna give it a shot with the ATF and 600 grit paper, sounds like an old school method and I like old school methods. Even if the paper doesn't last long I've got plenty of it.

I did a Small block 327 the same way,came out nice. X2 on old school if ya don't have coin. P.S.,at our local donut cruises Sat a.m.,a guy has a perfect twin of the Boss 302 in your pic,his has a nasty windsor.Sweet ride!

Same car maybe? I don't remember where the pic is from. Friend of my has a worn out '65 we've been trying to get back on the road, once he has the cash I'm helping him build a hot 289 for it.

Back in 83,I was on the verge of my D.L. I ride my bicycle to the local 7 -11 for a soda.I see a 65 2+2 fastback,289/2v/3spd.950 obo!Strangely,pops said no.He said yes tobigger inch ponycars,but not this one.Go get it!

Is it me or is there a part of the bearing missing on the corner on the rod side?????

There's nothing missing on the bearing, I tapped it out to inspect it as well. Must just bee the light from the flash playing tricks.

Back in 83,I was on the verge of my D.L. I ride my bicycle to the local 7 -11 for a soda.I see a 65 2+2 fastback,289/2v/3spd.950 obo!Strangely,pops said no.He said yes tobigger inch ponycars,but not this one.Go get it!

Oh man! Not a Ford guy huh? That car would be worth some bucks today I figure.

Tried out wrapping the crank up with a shoelace and sandpaper, works pretty well and I finally got a use for my old army boots, plenty long laces!

-
Back