Did I screw up?

-

19dart71

Reaction score
Two months ago I bought a 67 barracuda in need of saving. It hadn't ran in over six years. Two weeks I got the motor up and going. The only road block left are the brakes.

The master cylinder was bone dry when I bought it. So I took all the drums off and inspected for any signs of leaks, seeing none, I proceeded to spray clean the parts and drums. Today, I decided to try to get some fluid back in the system. The master cylinder being level, I chose not the bench bleed. I started by filling the master cylinder and pumping the brakes a few times to get some fluid started. Next I went to the rear passenger and pulled the bleeder bolt. I returned to the front and had wife pump brakes slowly. I could tell that fluid was going into system. After 5 or 6 pumps the driver side wheel cylinder lost one of the rubber end fittings and proceeded to piss all over my garage floor. I went to check the rear passanger side and fluid had come out there too.

My question is did I screw up the process and cause the wheel cylinder to go, or was it just in need of replacement anyway? I don't want to go buy another one and have the same problem because of my own ignorance.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!
Thanks FABO!
Reagan

You can't push the brake pedal without the drum on it. nothing to stop it.

If its been parked for 6 years I wouldn't drive it up my driveway without a brake job. Check the lines very closely to, both hard and rubber as they are probably full of gunk from the old fluid.

No, you didn't screw anything up. Put the seals back on the wheel cylinders, put the drums back on, and bleed the system. However, I would bleed the master if it was empty. You don't need to pull it out of the car, just go to one of your local parts stores, buy the plastic fittings that thread into the master where the brake lines go, then attach small hoses to them that run into the master below the fluid. This can also be accomplished by using old, short brake lines if you have the right fitting for threading into the master. The other way to bleed the master is fill it, while your wife is slowly pressing the pedal to the floor open one of the lines after she has pushed it 1/4 of the way down, then tighten the line before she releases the pedal; do this 4-5 times on each line. Then start your normal bleeding process. If the wheel cylinders don't leak after you have bled them with the drums back on, no harm, no foul. If they leak after installing the drums, go get new wheel cylinders or buy a rebuild kit.

Thanks Brad4406. Very helpful. Cool to see someone from Bellevue. I was raised in Bellevue and graduate from Bellevue East. Don't talk to many from NE.

I will do like you said and give it a go again.

Thanks to all

Start with the master, just crack one line at a time, and pump(flush fenderwell with water- water washes off brake fluid). Then normal bleeding. But, new cylinders are only $8.

FYI never skip a bench bleed on a master. It will introduce a ton of air to the lines etc. Best bet now is to bench bleed tthe master and reverse bleed the system. You need a manual pump to force the fluid from the bleeder to the master.

-
Back