Did I screw up

-

mickey_bigdaddy

Reaction score
Hello, new to this forum and Mopars for that matter.

I bought a 73 Dart with a 318 and 904/998 automatic. I also picked up a 340 and a 833 4-spd. The 833 came from a 1984 D150 pickup. It has overdrive which I like. I read around here that there would be location issues for the shifter on the 833 in converting the Dart to a manual shift. I plan to use the 318 until I get enough cash to rebuild the 340. What are the issues with using this truck 833?

Thanks.

Welcome to the club!! We need pictures of your car, don't hold out on us.

The problems with putting a truck od833 in an A body are that neither shifter location works in an A body. The forward shifter pad has to be cut off (it hits the tunnel) and the rear pad has to be drilled and tapped. Once the rear pad is threaded you"ll have to fab up a bracket to mount the shifter in the right location. You"ll also need a set of A body shift rods for the shifter and a shorter driveshaft with a 727 sized yoke.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/abconv.shtml shows the bracket with dimensions.
Don't forget to read the last sentence on the page.....
" Also, you will have to give the trans tunnel a couple of dimples with a ball peen so that the adapter attaching bolts don't jam against the tunnel. (Yellow Arrow.) "

Dimple away... I had to beat the friggin crap out of my car and slot the trans cross member bolt holes to get my adapter not to hit... but If I'd used counter sunk allen head bolts where the bracket mounts to the rear pad, there would've been very little clearance issues...

-
Back