Did not realize 3 speeds were avail. in E bodies..............

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
For sale on Spokane CL, cheap: 125 bux.............

01414_kVYcabROLSs_0CI0iP_1200x900.jpg

00Q0Q_gtpDgHUCYG0_0CI0iP_1200x900.jpg

My uncle had a 1970 Barracuda 225 slant 3 speed. Shifter is a short one with white ball

It was a way to keep the advertised base price down. Road Runners came standard with four speeds in 1968-69. That ended for '70.

I had a 73 Cuda 318 with a factory 3-speed on the floor back in the early 80's.

Neighbor of mine had a ‘73 Barracuda, 340-3spd. A most excellent dude.

Yuppers, locally there was a 70 challenger convertible in plum crazy purple. Slant six/ 3 on the floor.

I ended up with the driveline but the car got rebodied (not by me).

The slant is in my valiant and the trans went to @Alaskan_TA

Now that’s a shame since a /6 E body with any transmission is a very very rare thing to see.

I have seen 340 and 360 Es with 3 speeds it was a,way to also keep Insurace down. (Ie) not a 4 speed car

Three speeds came in Max Wedge cars, too. Although I've never seen or heard tell, I would not be surprised to find out there was a Hemi car or two that came with them.

3--Speeds were offered mainly due to the rapid increase of insurance premiums for muscle cars... Many times the insurance monthly cost was higher than the car payment...

Just my $0.02...

Three speeds came in Max Wedge cars, too. Although I've never seen or heard tell, I would not be surprised to find out there was a Hemi car or two that came with them.
Local guy ( the brother of the guy I got my car from) had a 413 Max Wedge car with a 3 spd. And yeah, a few E bodies got 3 speeds...

I have one of those in my back yard with the 2.55:1 first and large bearing retainer. The linkage rods are the same as a 4-speed: R-1 is the A833's 1-2 rod and 2-3 is the A833's 3-4. I only bought it for the linkage, to be honest, but the price was idiotically low... under $30 for sure. It might've been half that. All-makes swap meet and it was the only Mopar part the dude had. He did not want to haul it home yet again.

is it just me, or does that transmission look a little funny to be in an E body?( no rear mount)
I believe even the three speed needed the rear mount for the shifter, front mount for the B body.
I can't swear to it though. The driver sits further back in an E body, hence the shifter sits back as well.

D13 was the standard transmission on all Ebodies. 3 speed manual
D21 was an ordered option 4 speed manual
D31 was an ordered option 904 automatic
D32 was an ordered option 727 automatic

I believe they also put 7 1/4 rears in some in 1970 only. I think the slants were 70 only.

I believe they also put 7 1/4 rears in some in 1970 only. I think the slants were 70 only.
I've owned two /6 E bodies... One was a 70... The other was a 71.... The 71 actually had a 198 not the 225... Both were auto on the column & both had an 8.75.... The 70 had/has disc brakes...

I had a 71 Challenger that was a loaded 318 car. It had a 7 1/4 rearend in it from the factory. I jerked that thing outta there so fast it would make your head swim....lol. Swapped in an 8 3/4 and a 727 at the same time.

-
Back