Did some T&T today...

-

MB43

Reaction score
Went to the local track for some T&T today.

It was bad.

I wanted to try to once and for all banish the off-the-line bog I have when I try to leave at anything over 1500 RPM. So I changed the secondary spring in the carb from the 2nd lightest back to the stock size, and worked from there.

1st run. Couldn't get a decent burnout, but I made the run anyway.
.043 RT, 1.983 60', 12.976 @ 105.41. A little off from what I usually run, but it didn't bog as bad as it had been. So I went to the next size spring and made another run.

.037 RT, 1.875 60', 13.032 @ 103.72. It was better than the 1st run from 60 feet out to the 1/8 mile, but fell off from there.

3rd run. I hop in the car, hit the start button. Whhhiiirrrrrlllll. No motor spinning, just the starter. So I yank off the hood and have a look. The starter had somehow seperated itself from the block. Jack it up, bolt the starter back on.

.009 RT, 1.979 60', 13.850 @ 96.99. It's slowing down. So I go the other way, put in a smaller spring and make another run.

.093 RT, 2.2024 60', 13.951 @ 96.82. The motor was making some really funky noises, when I got back my friend and I were scratching our heads to try to figure out what was wrong. Pulled off the driver's side valve cover and found that one of the pushrods was all bashed up. I guess one of the rockers worked itself loose and was smashing the top of the pushrod. That's bad. So I was only running on 7 cylinders.

I have no idea when that happened, so pretty much my testing & tuning results are void.

Now I need to figure out what kind of pushrods I have, and see I can can buy just one. And I'm hoping the rocker is still in good shape, I didn't really look at it too good.

:puker: :pukel: :thumbdow: ](*,) #-o

What kind of rockers are u using? I have the 273 rockers on my 340 and I had the same thing happen, I put new adjusters with nuts so they don't come loose. You can buy just one pushrod, either MP or crane offers them for like $6.00.

340gts said:
What kind of rockers are u using? I have the 273 rockers on my 340 and I had the same thing happen, I put new adjusters with nuts so they don't come loose. You can buy just one pushrod, either MP or crane offers them for like $6.00.

They're the Crane gold rockers.

I found that Summit carries the pushrods (Comp Cams 7821), and I can buy just one if I need to.

I'm gonna pull them all out and check to make sure none of the others are damaged before I order.

damn... that sucks. sorry to hear it. but that still seems like one hella fast car.. 12s are quick.. and it goes without saying that it capable of more... once you get this bog problem fixed..

-
Back