Did some work, now steering pulls by itself

-

challyrtse

Reaction score
Hey everyone, (1967 Dart, 318, Power steering)
I did a little plumbing when replacing my original (cracked) PS pump with a Saginaw off of a '70 small block. There was a problem with the fittings mating up, and I stripped some of them (Grrr!).
So, I pulled the plenum off of the steering gear; a little two bolt jobber - the steering hoses attach to it, and it bolts to the steering gear. Anyway, pulled the piece off, removed the stripped hardware, got some new parts and fabricated a fitting that everything connects to. Sweet!
I bolt the little plenum-thing back on, hook up the hoses, fill the reservoir and fire up the engine.
And, Blam-O! The steering wheel spins the wheels full right, all by themselves. So, I drain the fluid, disconnect the hoses (again), and pull the plenum off. I clean it all up, and re-attach it to the gear, making extra sure that the hardware all lines up (there are three holes, a high press inlet, a return, and a screw surrounded by a spring). Tighten in the bolts, hook everything up, and fire the engine.
Ka-plow! This time the wheels turn hard left! What the deuce am I doing wrong? Its not even turning in the same direction! The wheels were lined up straight both times.
Anyway, if anyone knows how to line this up the correct way, please le tme know.
Thanks!

You need to loosen the two bolts slightly, start the car, let it idle, and tap the little valve forword or backwords till it quits wanting to turn and stays centered. Then tighten the bolts and BAM, your done. Oh make sure the front end is off the ground.

Heres the problem, the little thing you took off the steering gear needs to be centered. This can be done by having everything hooked up and tight, start your engine. Now the two bolts that hold that part to the gear need to be just cracked loose a little!! Take a hammer and tap that hold assembly either up( toward the cowl) or down(toward the front of the car) go easy, alittle at a time , youll see the steering wheel kick right or left as you do this depending which way your tapping. You want to get to a point that when you start the engine the wheel doesnt kick. Its preety easy to do, be patient and you'll get it.
Good luck!

Excellent, and how quick! Thank you, gentlemen. I'm going out right now, while I still have daylight, to giv ethis a shot. Hopefully I get it straightened out shortly.
Again, thanks!

Oh Baby! Worked like a champ! Took a couple of cycles, but I got it tuned in. Thanks again for the quick replies; I thought for sure I had messed something up that was going to be expensive to fix. Not only was this free, but it was quick as well.

Oh Baby! Worked like a champ! Took a couple of cycles, but I got it tuned in. Thanks again for the quick replies; I thought for sure I had messed something up that was going to be expensive to fix. Not only was this free, but it was quick as well.

Aint it great when a plan comes together? Glad we could help.

I've got the same problem but i have never taken anything apart so would you please take me from square one. What two bolts are you talking about?
My car even after a alingment still pulls to the right going down the road. This car was totally taken apart before i got it and i'm sure something is not lined up right. Thanks for anything. Dusterdowns

I've got the same problem but i have never taken anything apart so would you please take me from square one. What two bolts are you talking about?
My car even after a alingment still pulls to the right going down the road. This car was totally taken apart before i got it and i'm sure something is not lined up right. Thanks for anything. Dusterdowns

First thing you need to do is jack up the front of the car. With the front wheels off the ground ,crank your car up and see if the wheels turn one way or the other by itself. Then get back to us.

-
Back