Diesel truck exhaust

-

meathead66

Mod Top
Reaction score
Got an ‘04 Ram 2500 diesel and need a complete exhaust. Question is there an advantage to going to a 5” system vs the stock 4”. Any preferred brand? Thanks

Got an ‘04 Ram 2500 diesel and need a complete exhaust. Question is there an advantage to going to a 5” system vs the stock 4”. Any preferred brand? Thanks
Yes. Biggest benefit is simply lower EGTs, which will cool your cylinder temps and your turbos exhaust side a couple hundred degrees. Really important if you’re running any type of aftermarket fuel upgrades.

I just purchased FloPro 4" with muffler for my 07. Haven't installed it yet but looks like quality stuff.

Go to 04.5 to 07 elbow and exhaust if yours is an early 04. The later are 4 inch. One more thing to consider is a BD two piece manifold pictured below. What happens is after heating and cooling the factory manifolds shrink and they shear the studs off in the heads front and back. Sons been doing diesels for a long time. Bought two 05's new. My single wheel went through two manifolds by 250K. Below is a picture of a split manifold.

03-04 do not make the power as a 04.5 -07.5. The 03-04 comes with a 3 inch exhaust the 04.5 -07.5 comes with 4 inch. Electronics are different. My son has a 05 with a 01 crank and rods and tons more work. Cam ,Turbo,Injectors, pistons, head work, I tried his exhaust on the stock single wheel. Lost the grunt on the bottom. I'll get a picture of one of the turbos on a motor getting done in the shop. Wait until you see how small the exhaust outlet is on a stock turbo. Big exhausts sounds cool but a stock motor factory 4 inch is good enough. Turn it up and you'll need to get rid of heat. Manifold is the first purchase.

You need to see if your truck is a 04 or a 04.5 big difference in performance.

5[3].jpg

106_0046.JPG

106_0006.JPG

Truck is the early 04. Bought it new. Still only have 230k miles. So it’s the 3” system? Didn’t know that. No power add ons. Sounds like I’ll go with the 4” system plus no reason to go stainless as it’s fast rusting off the frame anyways. Thanks for the reply’s

Get the down pipe elbow off the turbo from a 04.5-07.5. for the 4 inch exhaust. Here is the size of the exhaust on a factory manifold to the turbo on a 06. My son is doing a motor for one right now. This motor melted a piston from a stuck injector @250K pulling a load up a hill. The sign of this happening is when you rev the engine high it seams to want to stay up there for a while before it idles down. Beware of old injectors that is what usually takes these motors out.

Just some friendly info you may not know. Steve

106_0070.JPG

106_0071.JPG

106_0074.JPG

106_0066.JPG

-
Back