diff. caps what side?

-

bob shaner

Reaction score
I have a 8.25 sure grip carrier I removed from a van in a junk yard but I didnt mark the caps are they side specific? One has a 45 and the other one has a 48 cast in them.

There is a right and left and the cap are matched to the diff just like main caps.

It's not critical. Since the caps only job is to hold against the bearing race, it does not matter which side they go on.

It's not critical. Since the caps only job is to hold against the bearing race, it does not matter which side they go on.

Really?

What about bore centerline is differences?

Really shouldn't be swapping caps from housing to housing. I have some 8.75's that people did that to and they are some of the most screwed up parts I've dealt with.

Yeah, really. Tapered roller bearings have lots of lateral play. If you know which cap came off which side, great. It's best to put it back. It's not critical though, because they only hold against the race. The only real critical measurement with tapered rollers is the preload they have to have. I never said anything about swapping from housing to housing. Only from one side to the other. I've done it and seen it done a long time swapping sides and swapping from one housing to the other and never had a problem. The cap has absolutely NO effect whatsoever on where the bearing or carrier is placed. The centerline remains the same unless you swap the carrier itself into another housing.....and then only minutely. Rear axle would effectively run correctly with no bearing caps installed at all, because the caps effect nothing. They only serve to hold the carrier in place and to keep preload on the bearings. That's it.

Look for machining marks in each cap.
there are nuances that will give you an indication of which cap came from which side.
It is never a good idea to switch side to side regardless of what some get away with.
caps are supposed to be marked upon removal.
just cuz the factory bean counter saved a scheckel by not marking, dont let the mechanic of the hook from doing job properly.
the caps may be close but if not in proper bore, not correct.
would you run a main bearing cap on a different journal in your engine and call it close enough?

Comparing the rear axle caps to main caps is comparing apples to oranges. Since the rear axle cap does nothing to locate the bearing, it is not necessary that they be left on the same side. The main cap in an engine serves to hold the bearing and crank in place, as well as properly locate the bearing. It is imperative the main caps remain in the same position or if position is lost the crank bore will need to be honed at best. Because the caps on a rear axle have absolutely NOTHING to do with locating the bearings on the centerline of the housing, the caps' placement is NOT critical. It's not about what some people "get away with". I plainly said if you know the original placement, it is certainly better to keep them there. A tapered roller bearing is totally different than a crush type babbit. The comparison between the two is completely irrelavent. Because the tapered rollers have a seperate race, the caps do nothing except hold them in place. PERIOD. I never said that method is "accepted" or "preferred" or "correct". I said that it is not CRITICAL, because it is not.

agree about the locating of the race, however it is importantant to have the proper "crush" on the race to elleviate any possible spinning of the race in the bore. Swapping sides does not assure proper tolerance.
As a side note, bearing manufacturers are doing away with the locating tabs on eng bearings.
a bearing, regardless of type, needs a set amount of crush to be correct and the only way to get that is to have everything match as machined.
crossed a few diff caps in my day to know there is a difference in final assembly when things are correct or not.
Not to dis you, just informing him to examine the honing and all machining marks closely and he will be able to tell which cap cam from which side.
No reason to guess.
Just my opinion, as you have yours.

I agree....no disrespect meant at all. It's just that alignment, suspension axle work blah blah blah is all i did for near bout 30 years. I've been in a lot of "have to" situations and made um work.......cause well....I had to. LOL I agree 100% that it's better to leavem them in the right location...and make no mistake, I DO when I work on one. But what do you do when you get a big pile of parts and have to build somethin up? Know what I mean, Vern? ya gotta do what ya gotta do....and I happen to have done that a good bit and had no trouble. I mean....if the thing is torn down with no marks.....what choice have you got? You see what fits the best and go with it.

When you hammer the gas pedal it hammers the driveline and the pinion and carier

While that is happening the pinion is trying to rip itself out of the housing with the force it appllies to itself , and the carrier is being pushed to the side and out the back of the housing....

So saying the caps aren't important is so wrong.....

No disrespect....but you have more force on the caps then the saddles of the housing.

VERY much just like that of main caps..... plug fires, sends the piston flying down under pressure hammering the cranks down, lots of pressure on the mains....

Not a good idea to mix up caps...on anything

-
Back