Diff Cover Question

-

Dart5150

Reaction score
Can anybody ID this diff? Went to swap the fluid and the plug is pretty badly beat up. So I thought I'd swap the cover and gasket. This is a 9-bolt, and everything I've found is 10- or 12-bolt.

Diff Cover.jpg

toolmanmike it's a '64 Dart with a 273 and auto. So judging by the spotter's guide you were kind enough to provide, it appears to be a 7 1/4" rear end. Thanks for that. Any vendor recommendations?
A wanted ad here on the site would be your best bet. Dr. Diff is a great place to buy parts but the 7 1/4 rear isn't the most popular so reproduced parts will be hard to come by.

Went to swap the fluid and the plug is pretty badly beat up.
If you can get the plug out you can replace it or use a rubber insert plug. Not like a rubber expansion plug just a rubber plug.

Our 96 Jeep GC uses one and no leakage from ours in 10 years.

Screenshot_20240118-175441.png

Last edited:
I looked there, but unfortunately all they show is parts for a 8.75" 12-bolt.
Try a want ad again. The one you posted yesterday was in the wrong forum. Scroll down the forum's list and you will see the Mopar For Sale Ads forums. That's where you need to be. "Cars and Mopar Parts Wanted" is where you need to be.

Try a want ad again. The one you posted yesterday was in the wrong forum. Scroll down the forum's list and you will see the Mopar For Sale Ads forums. That's where you need to be. "Cars and Mopar Parts Wanted" is where you need to be.
Got it, thanks. I just posted it. Appreciate your help.

Take it to a plumbing store, it is NPT (national pipe thread). You can use a square headed pipe plug in place of the OEM plug.

-
Back