Difference between 2 Saginaw PS pumps

-

JoePole1

A dude in a B body
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Needed to replace my Saginaw PS pump on my 360. Well....I ordered the wrong one.
Can't find any local but when I search Advance auto and Rock Auto they show both pumps.
The bolt patterns look the same and they are both threaded shafts. Anyone know if it will work and is one better than the other? Thanks.

My original:
10393089_a1c_206159_pri_larg.jpg

The one I ordered:
20710413_a1c_206159f_pri_larg.jpg

Looks like the shaft is in a different spot (belt alignment belt size issue?)
Maybe it’s the pictures not sure.
I had same issues years ago. Truck pump vs car pump- that’s what Napa told me.

Anyone???? I would like to get this installed today. My old one is making a racket over 2000 RPM. Finally have a car show this weekend. Thanks.

Are you looking for someone to hold your hand? Honestly install it. You will then know if it works. Your car, your car show. Make it happen if you want to go. That’s hot rodding. Not all things are plug and play.

If you bought a kit for your original pump, that kit would include two different thickness sizes of the seals that go between pump and reservoir at bolt holes. All other parts in the kit are the same. That doesn't mean overall thickness and mounting brackets are the same, or different either. Only means you can't transfer the oval neck reservoir to new pump without the correct seals.

Just did the same thing. The pumps are the same, the tin can the pump is in are different shapes, but interchangeable. As long are both shafts are threaded, you should have no issue.

Are you looking for someone to hold your hand? Honestly install it. You will then know if it works. Your car, your car show. Make it happen if you want to go. That’s hot rodding. Not all things are plug and play.
No need to be dickish about it. Some bolts go into cooling jacket so will also have to drain back block. Asking if there is a difference and advantage of one over another. Why two versions of Saginaw? Was one replaced because of issues?

The only difference you should be looking for is if it has a key way and threads or not. Some time in 74 or 75 they went to a pressed on pulley. Other wise they interchange. The return line outlet may vary but you can probably swap your canteen cover for the canned ham one.

Only difference in those 2 pumps is the reservoir. Early versa late. You can put the new pump into your old reservoir.
There is a different pump that has a press on pulley.

Found that there is more to it than the housing. The low pressure connection is down lower on the "square" body reservior which
puts it closer to the high pressure connection. This limits you to the amount of swing you have on the high pressure hose and
there is a lot of tension on the high pressure line at the steering gear. The pump now does not move to the loosest position on the bracket. I could barely get the belt on. I connected the high pressure hose above the low pressure but had to bend the hard tubing for clearance. Not liking it.

IMG_20200626_110414.jpg

On top of that I fire up the car and it's making the same noise above 2000 RPM. Yes I ran it without the belt and definitely from power steering pump. Tried another used belt also. Same results. I did notice that my ps pulley is not lined up with the crank pulley prior to pump replacement. Checked crank OK. Now I have been running this set-up for over 10 years. Not sure how the alignment is off except a bent bracket. Is it possible that something is missing at the long spacer? Anyone have a picture of their set-up? Thanks.

IMG_20200626_110828_hdr.jpg

Interesting thing on the low pressure lines. Mine were different on the two styles of pumps, but not much. I think they moved the return line around a lot on the different years.

On top of that I fire up the car and it's making the same noise above 2000 RPM. Yes I ran it without the belt and definitely from power steering pump. Tried another used belt also. Same results. I did notice that my ps pulley is not lined up with the crank pulley prior to pump replacement. Checked crank OK. Now I have been running this set-up for over 10 years. Not sure how the alignment is off except a bent bracket. Is it possible that something is missing at the long spacer? Anyone have a picture of their set-up? Thanks.

View attachment 1715551500

I have been fighting the power steering noise for awhile. Look up “Power steering noise” for the thread.

Thanks Mike. I am having the same issue so I feel your pain. Glad it worked out. Following but thinking mine may be alignment related. There is some end play in my old and new pump (worse!!!). Thinking maybe shaft is walking at RPM. Pulling new pump
since same issue and reinstalling original. Will do your pulley trick.

Thanks Mike. I am having the same issue so I feel your pain. Glad it worked out. Following but thinking mine may be alignment related. There is some end play in my old and new pump (worse!!!). Thinking maybe shaft is walking at RPM. Pulling new pump
since same issue and reinstalling original. Will do your pulley trick.

Please post results as you go. I am very interested. Thanks!

Mike. I looked the pics on your thread but can't expand. Does my spacer set-up in post 14 look like yours? Just the long spacer in between? I'm going to jump to your thread. Getting off subject here.

All. Looks like my replacement pump is similar to the one on the left as you cannot see the low pressure connection. The middle pump low pressure connection is visible and would work so it looks like the "square" saginaw pumps come in at least two configurations. The right pic is like my original. Use an original replacement or square pump with low pressure connection up high.
This pump mounting information for small block!!!! Big block may differ and I don't recognize those brackets so they may be for BB.
13-2.jpg

Those are BB brackets.
Also these Saginaw pump really like the GM cold weather p/s fluid to stop the whine

Mike. I looked the pics on your thread but can't expand. Does my spacer set-up in post 14 look like yours? Just the long spacer in between? I'm going to jump to your thread. Getting off subject here.

Yep, yours looks like mine. I have an instruction sheet on ps the brackets I bought from Mancini I will look for.

-
Back